Build Advice Will this setup work?

Jun 10, 2019
Hey nice forum, decided to make a post to ask for some feedback.
I'm a fan of pc building, however my last experience with that was 12 years ago. Things have changed and i'm very much out of the loop.
I've used gaming laptops since (because i needed a portable pc, not anymore). I'm done with that, they break too fast and they're loud.

I'm not really a hardcore gamer, but i like to play my games at the best settings, i also tend to use heavy software.
I want a pc that i can upgrade after a while (like a new processor or videocard) so the motherboard has to be future-proof i guess.

I don't have a fixed budget, but i'd like to keep it around 1200-ish for now, but i'm flexible.

This is what i could come up with: Anything overkill or unbalanced?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8PQXKB

I'm mostly confused about ram, i don't know what to look for.
The 2060 videocard comes in all kinds of forms, Asus alone has the Turbo, Dual and Strix and more. I guess the Stix would be good because it has the gaming label?

So TLDR, looking for gaming machine around 1200 where i can easily upgrade if needed.
Any help appreciated.

Something like this should be pretty good...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor | $279.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | $52.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard | MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard | $139.50 @ Walmart
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage | ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $74.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Gigabyte - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card | $399.99 @ Amazon
Case | Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case | $68.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair - TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $85.88 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1212.31
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| Total | $1177.31
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-11 06:56 EDT-0400 |

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
I'm a fan of pc building, however my last experience with that was 12 years ago. Things have changed and i'm very much out of the loop.
I've used gaming laptops since (because i needed a portable pc, not anymore). I'm done with that, they break too fast and they're loud.

I'm not really a hardcore gamer, but i like to play my games at the best settings, i also tend to use heavy software.
I want a pc that i can upgrade after a while (like a new processor or videocard) so the motherboard has to be future-proof i guess.

I don't have a fixed budget, but i'd like to keep it around 1200-ish for now, but i'm flexible.

The 2060 videocard comes in all kinds of forms, Asus alone has the Turbo, Dual and Strix and more. I guess the Stix would be good because it has the gaming label?

So TLDR, looking for gaming machine around 1200 where i can easily upgrade if needed.
Any help appreciated.
What Hellfire put together is pretty much best setup you can get for 1200, i recommend you give it a look. Maybe pick a case that has mesh in front.

Jun 10, 2019
Oke, didn't know about the Radeon cards. Is that really 300 off at Amazon? :eek: It's like 700 dollars at stores from my country.

If i understand right it's about equivalent to the 2700?

What Hellfire put together is pretty much best setup you can get for 1200, i recommend you give it a look. Maybe pick a case that has mesh in front.
Yea that pretty much only leaves Meshify cases (or another ugly case), there's not much good looking, minimalist cases that have open airflow from the front.

Just remember - the NEW CPU's are out in 3 - 4 weeks, so if you can wait that long, you may get a better system for the same price.
True, but there's always something better comming. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Right now i'm eying the h700 case, h710 comming out soon -.-
But still not a great case for airflow.

I wish there was a minimalist case with side window and normal flat mesh in the front, without alien-looking plastic garbage everywhere..
Who knew the case would be the harderst decision, every one of them has atleast 1 flaw that turns me off.

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Oke, didn't know about the Radeon cards. Is that really 300 off at Amazon? :eek: It's like 700 dollars at stores from my country.

If i understand right it's about equivalent to the 2700?

Yea that pretty much only leaves Meshify cases (or another ugly case), there's not much good looking, minimalist cases that have open airflow from the front.

True, but there's always something better comming. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Right now i'm eying the h700 case, h710 comming out soon -.-
But still not a great case for airflow.

I wish there was a minimalist case with side window and normal flat mesh in the front, without alien-looking plastic garbage everywhere..
Who knew the case would be the harderst decision, every one of them has atleast 1 flaw that turns me off.

h700 actually has alot of openings on the front sides, its very good case for airflow in that regard, i have mshify c now, but if i were to build new pc, i would grab the h700

Jun 10, 2019
h700 actually has alot of openings on the front sides, its very good case for airflow in that regard

Alright, good to hear. There's lots of different opinions floating around about the h700, it's hard to get a realistic grasp on things.

Other case i find interesting is the CoolerMaster NR600, it has a flat mesh front panel and room for 2 fans on top (with filter).
There seems to be some minor(?) issues with the front fans, 140mm don't fit quite right and the bottom fan is hard to reach, however i doubt that would really be a problem for me. I don't particularly need 140mm fans at all.

Last edited:

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019
Jun 10, 2019
I took some suggestions from Hellfire13 and came to this.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CwznbX
All these parts are about 1350 euro, and that's not counting a case and fans.

I think the 2070 is worth it because apparently it's nice for 1440 gaming, and generally 20% faster than the 2060. I'm willing to take that extra step for longevity.
I don't want to go with Radeon, i haven't heard good things and i see everyone with Nvidia's... so i'd rather have Nvidia.

And i think i'll leave the processor as is (2600x) and leave it as an upgrade for the future. The x470 motherboard should last a while from what i can tell.
However i'm looking up if the 2600x will be a noticable bottleneck for the 2070, i've learned this could lead to unfavourable results, what do you guys think?

The Phanteks P400A looks like an awesome case (with mesh), but it's comming out mid august.

No bottleneck, this should be better...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor | $279.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - B450 AORUS PRO WIFI (rev. 1.0) ATX AM4 Motherboard | $109.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage | ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $74.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card | $449.99 @ Newegg
Case | Cooler Master - MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid Tower Case | $48.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair - TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $85.88 @ OutletPC
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1189.71
| Mail-in rebates | -$65.00
| Total | $1124.71
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-12 21:08 EDT-0400 |

Bob Bobson

Proper
Apr 19, 2019

Any help appreciated.

Probably just wait a month for new ryzens, navi and NVidia SUPER Rtx cards, no point in building a pc now