Will this system work without problems?

G

On the final steps of purchasing this system.. Just wanna make sure that it will work properly or see if I should change anything.

- AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz 266MHz Bus Socket A GA Processor-OEM Version
- ASUS A7M266 SOCKET A ATX Motherboard
- INDUSTRIAL STANDARD PC2100 32X64 256MB DDR 184PIN DIMM
- CardExpert / Gainward GeForce 3 PowerPak, 64MB with TV- OUT, VIVO, DVI. Retail Box.
- Teac 1.44MB 3.5 Inch Floppy Drive # FD235HFB291 - OEM Version
- IBM 40GB 7200RPM Deskstar 60GXP Ultra ATA/100 8.5ms
- Pioneer 16X DVD Model 106S, 40x CD-ROM, 512k buffer SLOT - OEM
- Windows 2000 Professional Full Version OEM
- HP 9700I 16 X 10 X 40 Internal IDE CDReWriter Retail Box
- Sound Blaster Live X-GAMER 5.1 Retail Box
- Generic Case 350 Watt PSU
- Generic Heatsink w/Fan
- Nec 17 inch monitor

Got the price down to $1700 using reliable stores, don't want to deal with Bargain stores' crappy service and stuff. Plz tell me if I will have problems or not.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Get Crucail DDR and change your CDRW...seems like lots of people have been having problems with HP burners. And also change your OS to Linux.

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
See if you can get a 400w+ PS and a high end HSF. Tell them you want copper. It could make a world of difference later.

My Thoughts
Schmide

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I also suggest you get Crucial DDR PC-2100. 256MB is only $40.

And make sure you remove the VI/O1 jumper on the motherboard, ASUS default the voltage of memory to 2.7V but DDR only takes 2.5V (it's even documented in their own manual). After you done that, your system will be stable as rock

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
NO, GET CORSAIR pc2400 cl2 ddr ram, and you will have much more room for overclocking AND you will be able to run it at 2100 with very aggressive timings.
It is only 10 bucks more too.

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
geforce 3 and a box that good will not be done justice by a piddly 17 inch monitor... go for 19" at least even if you have to make other sacrifices to afford it...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
:smile: hi!
your system is perfect! it will never ever ever! have heat related problems, never ever require any super human cooling methods, it will run fine at 68+c, it will never corrupt your 100+ worth of data while moving from one drive to another.

as a matter of fact if power to the hsf gets cut off, you will not suffer a meltdown! because your mobo will save your cpu! amazing! and "guaronteed, dude! I've tried it!" your system is the besteses for dvd ripping and duh newer games coming out, because duh programers use RAW code and unoptimezed routines that utilize duh RAW power of duh um Athlon!(worlds greatest cpu)

also, be glad that you've spent $1700.00 because a pee four system right now will run you about $10.000US dollars and 50 cents plus tax! dumb Intel is slashing prices in mid Aug, but come on dude, no way will I buy a Pee four system, 4 $5000.00

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Everything seems alright, except I recommend getting some case fans just for extra cooling, and you shouldnt even consider getting a Generic Heatsink w/Fan......Those are only rated for up to 1GHz Athlon CPU's.....and even at that, they are shitty cooler, go for either a Thermaltake Volcanno II, or a Global Win Cak38.......you wont be disapointed, and you wont have to worry about overheating (in the words of AmdMeltDown, a MeltDown) But whatever, you'll be fine......

-MeTaL RoCkEr
My <font color=red> Z28 </font color=red> can take your <font color=blue> P4 </font color=blue> off the line!

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You sure you want to get AMD based system? your just asking for problems and poor stability/compatability. why else would you be asking here if that crap works together?

Avoid AMD and you will be better off in the long run, guarenteed.

Take a minute and read thru the problem posts, notice they are all AMD based problems of one kind or another.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Avoid AMD and you will be better off in the long run, guarenteed.

Except when Intel comes out with 4 new socket types in the net year, and then decides to go back to slot, and then decides to combine CPUs and motherboards so you can never upgrade. Then you'll be happy you went with Intel :)
Ok, I exaggerated, but you see my point.

Take a minute and read thru the problem posts, notice they are all AMD based problems of one kind or another.

Really? What about the guy a couple days ago who was desparate to take back his brand new P4? And there are others, but that one sticks out and makes a good example.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Really? What about the guy a couple days ago who was desparate to take back his brand new P4? And there are others, but that one sticks out and makes a good example"

LOL. cause he had a AMD motherboard!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Is that what the problem was?

He probably read adequacy.org's guide to building your own PC. It was on the HardOCP news, but the link is broken atm.

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside