Will this work or is it cutting it too close?

counterc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I have poured over the forums here and I "think" I finally know what I'm looking at when it comes to a PSU. To be honest I’m still a bit confused so I figure little additional input never hurt anyone.

I’m looking at a new build and I want to use this case.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/217/4/

I have used this case in the past and it is a GREAT case. The power supply that comes with it looks like it "might" just cut it for my intended system but I’m still not sure. Below is my intended build.

MSI P6N motherboard w/650I chipset
C2D E6600 (intend to over clock to 3.0 or 3.2 maximum)
8800 GTS 320 meg version
2x Seagate SATA 160 Gig HD's
1 Lite-on DVD-RW

Memory:
I’m still undecided on memory but I won’t be pushing for the moon with it. I have looked at everything from A-Data to WINTEC. Since I won’t be doing massive overclocking I don’t think its going to make a huge impact on the PSU. I’m looking to the forums for ideas here.

My secondary option for power would be to use my old case and go with this power supply,
Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W.

Although this PSU does appear in the list I think it might be over kill as i really don’t intend to go with SLI. If i can ever get to the point where i can afford two monster graphic cards then I can get a new PSW.

Please let me know what you think and thanks for any input.

Technically, you should be o.k. It supplies 30 amps on the +12V rails and your card only needs 28. That being said, I read customer reviews off of newegg and it wasn't very promising. Personally, I feel you would be better off getting the True Power. It has better reviews and has more power for future upgrades and right now it's only $15 more after rebates.

counterc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
First of all I want to say thanks for the reply.

I would be worried about the case as well if I did not already own one of them. Some say the PSU it not reliable but i have been running this box 24/7 for over a year now with no problems.

There is no doubt that the True Power is the better of the two PSU's but this would force me to use my old case. The only problem i have with this is that it does not stay cool even with 4 fans installed. I'm currently running an older P4 2.8 gig OC'd to 3.0 Gig and between it and the 7800GTS OC AGP video card, I have to leave the side panel off of the case to keep it cool.

I’m in the same camp of thought as you. The True power leaves plenty of room for upgrades but how will my current case behave with a C2D and a card such as the 8800 GTS which i have heard runs much hotter? I can’t afford to do both so hence the tie breaker situation.

Thanks again.

You could just switch the PSUs. Put the Trio into the new case and use the Smart power in the old case. They should fit, no problem. Just unplug, unscrew and swap. The smart power would also be able to handle the old system. If you don't want to mess with it, that's fine. IMO, I would rather have the more powerful and reliable PSU covering my newer more expensive hardware.

We're saying it might be ok based on the review sight he listed. The site claims that it supplies 30 amps which would just be enough. They could be completely wrong and I think they are based on this:

32A when adding up the two independent 12-volt rails.

Makes that sight seem kinda stupid, and after re-reading that I take back my original statement. No that PSU will not be enough. You need more amps on the +12volt rails (combined, but not added). I originally didn't see that it was 30 amps on the 5volt. How stupid :roll:

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
As i said the PSU can only offer at most 22A.
Also its a notoriously unreliable PSU.

Ive got a friend with one running a PD805 @3.6ghz and a 7600gt. I better go check if thats under 22a 8O

Augh! 21.75 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
uh oh...

I wouldn't worry so much, we can definitely say it is +12v@22A max when the +3.3v & +5v are loaded at their max of 150w...

SP450 specs, antec[/url]"]* +5V, +12V1, 12V2 and +3.3V maximum output: 410 Watts max
* +5V and +3.3V combined output: 150Watts
With this info, the only thing we can say for sure is, the +12v does not have an independent regulator... So how much load for the 3.3v and 5v rails? We can guesstimate with the free PSU calc:

eXtreme PSU calc[/url]"]Motherboard: Regular - Desktop

RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM

IDE HDD 5400 rpm: 1 HDD

Keyboard and mouse: Yes

System Load: 100 %

Recommended Wattage: 67 Watts
I just threw in the hdd for an estimation of the +5v logic loading for both a single hdd/dvd (the pro version will probably tell you more :wink: ), so we can say a possible +12v max potential of 410-67=343w/28.6A

Really the only way to be sure of your per-rail power is to bunch up your similar colored DC power wires as they exit your PSU, and slap a DC ammeter on it and watch the peak load as you run a burnin' test.

counterc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
8O Ahhh where once I was blind now I see. The misleading statement in the article is exactly what confused me. This is exactly why I began looking for help.

OK, so I used the calculator mentioned in your PSU 101 article and entered all of my data. I came up with 378 Watts. Now, if I’m doing this right (if I’m not I ask the PSU God -mpilchfamily- not to strike me down) and want to get a rough estimate of what I need, I take my total watts and divide them by 12. This gives me 31.5 amps. This would be for a single 12v rail and for two 12v rails would be 15.75?

I’ll just sit back and wait for everyone to laugh at me now. :D

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
8O Ahhh where once I was blind now I see. The misleading statement in the article is exactly what confused me. This is exactly why I began looking for help.

OK, so I used the calculator mentioned in your PSU 101 article and entered all of my data. I came up with 378 Watts. Now, if I’m doing this right (if I’m not I ask the PSU God -mpilchfamily- not to strike me down) and want to get a rough estimate of what I need, I take my total watts and divide them by 12. This gives me 31.5 amps. This would be for a single 12v rail and for two 12v rails would be 15.75?

I’ll just sit back and wait for everyone to laugh at me now. :D

Sarge: "What you suggest just isnt very good science" rVb

billdcat4

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Yeah my head is starting to hurt now. I'm headed back to PSU101 because I have obviously missed the something.

You got it right until you started talking about rails.

You need 31a PLUS headroom. Say 34a. So, 22 just wont cut it.

Total amps (adding rails together), and max amps (reality) are second cousins; not closely related. Always go by max amps.

Look somewhere towards the Corsair HX520. That one has 40a.

There are a LOT of PSUs in that range. Im getting a 7900gs, yet Im getting a HX520. Youve got to invest $$ to get quality...