Question Will This Work? - Replace Heatsink

TerraPassenger

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2012
I purchased some DDR5 Trident RGB Memory from GSkill. Unfortunately, the heatsink for this RAM is silver - I'd like for it to be white.

So... I was thinking about ordering Corsair's Vengeance RGB Pro Light Enhancement Kit. My idea is to remove the heatsink from this kit and replace the heatsink on my GSkill memory. Would this work?

My understanding is that the RGB is part of the RAM stick - and not the heatsink. Thus, it seems to me that after removing the GSkill heatsink I could replace it with the Corsair heatsink and it would work?

To make absolutely clear what I'm thinking of doing, more details follow.

This is the memory I purchased on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MYK7BVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that the heatsink is silver and black. I want the heatsink to be white. I prefer not to spray paint the existing heat sink.

My idea is to order the white RGB Pro light enhancement kit from Corsair: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...CE-RGB-PRO-Light-Enhancement-Kit/p/CMWLEKIT2W
My thoughts are to remove the heat sink from my GSkill memory and from the Corsair faux memory. Then, I would replace the silver/black GSkill heatsink with the white Corsair heatsink.

Would this work?

TerraPassenger

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2012
From what I've read and watched (on youtube):
  1. The LED lighting on GSkill and Corsair RGB RAM sticks is built into the RAM stick itself - there isn't a separate wire to power the LEDs;
  2. The LEDs are located on the top of the GSkill and Corsair RAM sticks;
  3. I think it's unlikely that Corsair would manufacture some part identical in appearance to their actual RGB RAM for their faux-RAM light enhancement kit. In other words, the RAM light enhancement kits most likely use actual Corsair RGB RAM heatsinks.
So, if 1-3 are correct - then the only thing that might make GSkill-for-Corsair heatsink replacement not work - is some sort of misfit - probably due to the LEDs.

I've decided to try this - and will post back to let others know if it works.