Will triple monitor setup degrade gaming performance when only using on screen for gaming

svennand

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Currently i have an Dell U2713 2560x1440.

Im planing to add an extra two 1920x1080 monitors on each side in portrait mode (need the exstra space when multitasking windows stuff, programming etc).

I currently have one Asus Strix GTX970 on order for replacing my Asus 280X Matrix Platinum.

My question is, would having three screens put a seriouse dent in my gaming performance? even though im only using the DELL screen for the actually gaming. Tried to google a bit and found that it would depend a bit on the VRAM accessible, anyone with experience on this one.

I mostly play "new games" and am a "whore" for eyecandy, if i cant run everything on MAX with decent fps i get pissed off :p

Should i alternatively do dual GTX970 or upgrade to an single GTX980? Pr today there isnt much performance difference between 970 and 980, but that might have something to do with driver optimalization?. Also the VRAM would be the same size on 970/980 so would it help at all really on my multisetup?

Price in my country GTX970 = 420usd, GTX980=750usd....

Btw i cant go triple card (the mobo doesnt have space for more than dual). Also running 1155 with ivy bridge i7 3770k, so might be some issues with available pci-express lanes.

Solution
You should not see a big difference as long a you are not doing demanding things, if you are just playing music or something on the other monitors you would see about a 1-2 fps drop. :)

Dazzah

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
You should not see a big difference as long a you are not doing demanding things, if you are just playing music or something on the other monitors you would see about a 1-2 fps drop. :)

Solution

svennand

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Cool, the other monitors will not be doing anything during gaming. They might even be turned off to avoid anoying lightspread.
But if i had to kinda disable them and shit each time i needed a 10min gaming break that would be just to annoying :)

Dazzah

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014
No you should be fine, and honestly...its up to you with the gtx 970s or the 980, personally i would go with the 970s in sli because they are so good for the price and you don't need to spend all your money at once...(that is what i'm doing) ;)

TRENDING THREADS