Question Will turning off the onboard Vega Graphics on Ryzen 3 2200G result in better oeverclocking?

chrisvl

Commendable
Feb 9, 2019
I had planned to build a 400 euro Ryzen 3 2200G while saving up money for a GPU (RX 580). I just received the GPU (after 6 months of using the onboard graphics) and I'm wondering wheter turning off the Onboard Vega Graphics make any difference , other than freeing up the RAM it used to occupy?

PC Specs:
Motherboard: B450 Gaming Plus
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G OC @ 3.75 GhZ
RAM: HyperX Predator 2x4GB 3000 MhZ
GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming X RX580 8GB
PSU: Corsair VS550

Jul 4, 2019
No difference. When the gpu is set to primary graphics adapter, the APU is set to secondary. If nothing is connected, and multiple monitor using the APU is not used, the APU is moot, no ram used.
Ofc there will be a difference since with the i-Gpu off,the cpu wont be producing so much heat and thus allowing for more overclocking headroom if that is your limit atm.Same would apply if you are going to increase the Voltage on the cpu,less heat to worry about!

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Ofc there will be a difference since with the i-Gpu off,the cpu wont be producing so much heat and thus allowing for more overclocking headroom if that is your limit atm.Same would apply if you are going to increase the Voltage on the cpu,less heat to worry about!

not really its like saying i should disable the onboard gpu on my 9900k to get "better" temps or performance headroom. if thats the case people should jsut get the 9900KF.

if the iGPU isnt being used it wont do anything at all and will not affect your OC.

Jul 4, 2019
not really its like saying i should disable the onboard gpu on my 9900k to get "better" temps or performance headroom. if thats the case people should jsut get the 9900KF.

if the iGPU isnt being used it wont do anything at all and will not affect your OC.
I assumed he means if it is worth running in CrossFire in which case it would limit the cpu OC and increase Heat,but if he meant just leaving it on without using it as you suggested then no,there wont be a difference as long as you dont use it.

InvalidError

Titan
Ofc there will be a difference since with the i-Gpu off,the cpu wont be producing so much heat
When the IGP isn't being used for anything, most of it is shut down (no clock, power-gated the same way it would be when disabled from BIOS) and the contribution to package power goes down to whatever is needed to maintain the IGP's standby state. This should be a sub-1W figure, unlikely to have any meaningful impact on OC.