Question Will two kits of Dual channel memory work as Quad channel if MoBo supports Quad Channel?

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Quoting: "A word of advice. If you just purchased this memory, and for whatever reason you bought two separate sticks of the same memory instead of buying them together in a matched set, see if you can return them for a refund or credit towards buying a similar or same set of matched sticks that come together in a kit. It is ALWAYS better to have matched modules because from brand to brand, or even within the same brand, in fact, even when the part numbers are IDENTICAL, there can be anything from simply slightly different memory chips that were sourced from different bins at the end or beginning of a production run to entirely different configurations altogether even though the model numbers seem to be the same. Some manufacturers even reuse model numbers when they discontinue a product. Point being, memory is only the same for sure when all sticks came out of the same blister pack or packaging and were sold as a tested kit."

Iif you are asking if 4 identical piece of RAM can work as quad channel using their XMP profile, the answer is yes. Different brand, or same brand different timing may cause problems, agree.

At the same batch (in general RAM bought at the same time at the same place) probably would be very much identical. There is a small chance that they would not be identical. But it is a way small chance.

And if you live in a place where you can find 4 piece of RAM packaged together good for you, it is almost not possible for many places.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
same everything still cause issue. if you don't believe it, buy a system that support quad channel and test with 4 individual stick with OC xmp profile

then you can come back and write about it here.

I did my late computer was a 3820 running quad memory (DDR3 then) with XMP profile. It run for 7 years without any issues. Another spare computer is also running with quad memory again DDR3 is running for 6 months without issues. Their RAM came in two packages so they are not 4x1 but 2x2.

Nov 3, 2019
and what speed of ram? full system spec?
If full speed etc he got lucky, if no reply... we all know what it means.
I only buy kits, worth it.

Edit: forgot answer to 1st poster: if it works cool, if it doesn't they may or may not take'em back. Also, some computer shops do sell different batches of kits so when you buy they may not be of same production batch (which would make them more probable to work ok).

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
If full speed etc he got lucky, if no reply... we all know what it means.
I only buy kits, worth it.

Edit: forgot answer to 1st poster: if it works cool, if it doesn't they may or may not take'em back. Also, some computer shops do sell different batches of kits so when you buy they may not be of same production batch (which would make them more probable to work ok).
Yes I got lucky two times, no I am not talking from my <Mod Edit>.
Buy kits, it is worth it.

If they work together you are also lucky then. Good for us we are all lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
It happens both ways, so people have the option to try, but should be aware of the possibility of not being able to reach full specifications or in some cases not work at all. Each user is paying for complete matched kit, these are not individual modules to be picked up and use as many as necessary. Matching single sticks is easier for standard frequency DDR4-2133/2400, but much more tricky for higher frequencies. If a combination has not been tested, results like XMP Profile can not be guaranteed by G.Skill. Some times successful, others not so much, which is why there is varying feedback online, forums, product reviews, etc.

For some one looking to avoid matching issues or the possibility of not reaching rated specifications with two separate kits, using a single kit of memory is highly recommended.