[SOLVED] Will two m2 drives effect performance?

Trickle2x2

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
I have a gigabyte Aorus pro b550m rev 1 motherboard. One m2 slot shares pcie lanes with the cpu and one shares pcie lanes with the chipset I believe. I already have one m2 drive installed (samsung 970 evo 1tb) if I install another in other m2 drive slot will it effect performance in games? I’ve heard if they hog up to many pcie lanes it can slow down gpu and cpu performance. I would like to instal a adata 2tb m2 drive if not in the second slot.

Solution
I have a gigabyte Aorus pro b550m rev 1 motherboard. One m2 slot shares pcie lanes with the cpu and one shares pcie lanes with the chipset I believe. I already have one m2 drive installed (samsung 970 evo 1tb) if I install another in other m2 drive slot will it effect performance in games? I’ve heard if they hog up to many pcie lanes it can slow down gpu and cpu performance. I would like to instal a adata 2tb m2 drive if not in the second slot.
The PCIe lanes from the primary M.2 slot come from the CPU and are dedicated to that slot. They won't take lanes from the chipset or the GPU.

Even then, most GPUs don't see a significant performance hit at PCIe 3.0 x8.
The PCIe lanes from the primary M.2 slot come from the CPU and are dedicated to that slot. They won't take lanes from the chipset or the GPU.

Even then, most GPUs don't see a significant performance hit at PCIe 3.0 x8.

Reactions: Trickle2x2
Solution

Trickle2x2

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
What are you using the NVMe for? For general use (like booting OS, games, programs), NVMe is rather pointless anyways since you aren't utilizing the increased sequential read/write speeds.
Secondly, if your GPU drop down from x16 to x8, it likely won't make much difference. The number of lanes refers to bandwidth available, not "speed". Unless you have a 2080Ti, using x8 lanes won't make a noticeable difference. Even then, it's very minimal.
I got a 3060ti, was just worried if the nvme slot would hog up any lanes from the gpu if I use both nvme slots on my motherboard. I see a good deal on an nvme drive 2tb that’s no more than a standard ssd so that’s why I was going to get another. Also less cables to manage.