[SOLVED] Will upcoming Nvidia 3000 series gpus effect 1660 super price

boagz

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2014
So I just recently bought a gtx 1660 super for 250. However, I just read that Nvidia will be releasing their newest top tier gpus next month (3080, 3090, etc). I've never really paid attention before but will this release most likely lower the price of the 1660 super and should I return the one I have and wait for that price drop? Or do releases of higher end gpus not really effect the mid-lower their ones?

Solution
No not really. They may go on sale for 20 or so off but thats about it. Nvidia is especially bad about maintaining MSRP pricing on even their old cards. The only big sales youll see is on the used market for previous gen cards since they more or less have been knocked down a tier. But saying that Nvidia most likely will only be releasing the top end 3000 series cards are fist then trickle in each tier over the following months.
No not really. They may go on sale for 20 or so off but thats about it. Nvidia is especially bad about maintaining MSRP pricing on even their old cards. The only big sales youll see is on the used market for previous gen cards since they more or less have been knocked down a tier. But saying that Nvidia most likely will only be releasing the top end 3000 series cards are fist then trickle in each tier over the following months.

Solution

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
There won't be anything that low on the RTX 30 price ladder for a while yet. It might still be a good idea to do a return, though, because AMD will most certainly have something coming to compete at the bottom of the market that will force Nvidia to drop prices.