[SOLVED] will updating my bios cause problems

Nov 23, 2021
i have an ASUS tuf gaming x570 plus wifi running on bios version 0807 and i want to upgrade to bios version 2607 so that i can install my new cpu ryzen 9 5900x when it arrives. can i update my bios now and continue to use my old cpu on the updated bios without issues? also would updating to 2607 be the right move, or just upgrade to the newest version

Solution
i have an ASUS tuf gaming x570 plus wifi running on bios version 0807 and i want to upgrade to bios version 2607 so that i can install my new cpu ryzen 9 5900x when it arrives. can i update my bios now and continue to use my old cpu on the updated bios without issues? also would updating to 2607 be the right move, or just upgrade to the newest version
There is a low risk. But since it is REQUIRED for your new CPU, you have no choice.
Since you are at 807 you have a very big jump to make. From the BIOS descriptions, it doesn't look like there is any reason you can't jump right to 2607.

kanewolf

Titan
There is a low risk. But since it is REQUIRED for your new CPU, you have no choice.
Since you are at 807 you have a very big jump to make. From the BIOS descriptions, it doesn't look like there is any reason you can't jump right to 2607.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Solution
Adding one thing...once you've done the update and AFTER you've installed the CPU be sure to do a CMOS reset....power's still off and disconnected, remove the battery, short reset pins for 30 sec's or so, replace battery.

This will make sure all the BIOS settings locations in CMOS are returned to a pristine state so nothing illogical remains to mess with the way the new processor works with the system.