Question will upgrade of my old laptop (new SSD, new RAM) help to make it faster?

danlol

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hello,

I have old laptop which I have factory resseted (w10). After start it uses 50% CPU and 100% HDD and it is very slow.

specs
model: lenovo g580
cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
gpu: NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M, 2GB
ram: 8GB
hdd: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB

I was thinking about buying a new SSD and a new RAM, do you think it will help or not at all?
Based on previous question, is it even worth to upgrade and keep the old laptop or buy a new one?)

Thanks for all answers,

have a nice day

Hello,

I have old laptop which I have factory resseted (w10). After start it uses 50% CPU and 100% HDD and it is very slow.

specs

I was thinking about buying a new SSD and a new RAM, do you think it will help or not at all?
Based on previous question, is it even worth to upgrade and keep the old laptop or buy a new one?)

That CPU was introduced 10 years ago.

An SSD would likely provide more noticeable day-to-day improvement than more RAM.

Either would "help" but "worth it" is entirely unknown. You may be seriously disappointed even if you did upgrade RAM and SSD.

It comes down to a comparison between:

1: your expectations

2; the alternative....which would be buying a more modern machine altogether.

Tough to advise you because you are the only one with accurate knowledge of your expectations.

Personally...I'd be reluctant to upgrade unless absolutely could not afford another machine.

danlol

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
That CPU was introduced 10 years ago.

An SSD would likely provide more noticeable day-to-day improvement than more RAM.

Either would "help" but "worth it" is entirely unknown. You may be seriously disappointed even if you did upgrade RAM and SSD.

It comes down to a comparison between:

1: your expectations

2; the alternative....which would be buying a more modern machine altogether.

Tough to advise you because you are the only one with accurate knowledge of your expectations.

Personally...I'd be reluctant to upgrade unless absolutely could not afford another machine.

I see, thanks... so there is nothing quaranted by upgrading it.
  1. expectations are to reduce opening time of web browser.
  2. i already have modern solid pc

• To be honest, my PC is enough for what I do. Since i found this old laptop I am for real looking if i might use it just for casual web browsing.
  • I have enough money to buy a new laptop but the thing is I dont currently need a new laptop since i wont use it a lot.

danlol

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hmmmm....

I have 8 gb of RAM.

It takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds to open Chrome or Firefox.

It takes about 1 to 1.5 seconds to go from random website A to random website B with either browser.

By actual test within the last 3 minutes.

after restart I am not able to open web browser at all, entire pc freezes. I have to wait like few minutes (5-10mins) and then i am able to open my web browser, folders, other apps. After solid 20minutes of running it takes 3-5s to open web browser, haha:D

after restart I am not able to open web browser at all, entire pc freezes. I have to wait like few minutes (5-10mins) and then i am able to open my web browser, folders, other apps. After solid 20minutes of running it takes 3-5s to open web browser, haha:D

There are all kinds of things that can slow down a browser...unrelated to RAM or SSD or HDD.

But if it takes you 5 to 10 minutes to do anything useful after a restart, you obviously have major problems. Even a slow ordinary laptop hard drive shouldn't be that hopeless.

Simple Windows maintenance may help, but I don't know if you have attempted any of that.

Nor do I know if this slowness is a recent development.

If the laptop has ALWAYS been this slow, that's one thing. If it's a new development, that's another.

When did you last:

Run disk cleanup including "system files".

Do a complete drive defrag

Check what runs automatically on startup

Confirm drive space remaining

Take a look at running processes in Task Manager

Determine RAM usage say 10 minutes after a restart while idling

Reactions: danlol
Hello,

specs

Thanks for all answers,

have a nice day
It's an old CPU, there are limits to how much faster you can make it. However an SSD should make a world of difference. Whether it's worth upgrading this laptop or buying a new one would depend on two things:

1. How much will the upgrade cost
  2. How much could you afford to spend on a new laptop

Over the years, I have upgraded many laptops from HDD to ssd.
You will be amazed at how quick the laptop will feel.
Even very old/obsolete units.
I do this by running the Samsung ssd migration app to copy the C drive to a new samsung ssd.
Instructions and app here:
On ram, if you can add ram, that helps, but it is nowhere near the benefit of the ssd upgrade.

danlol

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Thank you all.

I have decided i will not upgrade this laptop.
-I was able to live without it for few years.

1. I will just use it for scanner/printer.
  2. I am gonna use it once-twice per month, so no point to waste money upgrading it. ( i wanted to use laptop more, but ill stick to pc)
  3. next year I am considering travelling a lot, so i will buy a new laptop instead.
Thanks, yours advices are really helpful and I really appreciate it. I have removed bloatware and it helped a lot.

This is SOLVED:)