Question Will upgrading from single channel 8gb ram to 16gb help performance?

Dec 9, 2019
So this may be a stupid question, a laptop I am looking to purchase only has one ram slot( obviously hindering the performance, if there was a slot for another stick of ram I probably wouldn't be here), and it comes with 8gb. Now I know there will be some sort of performance increase if I buy a single channel 16gb, but would the increase in performance(mainly gaming) even be worth it to purchase?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
single slot means single channel. you cannot run dual channel with a single slot.
you need two slots for dual channel.
you could buy a larger stick and replace what you have.
RAM is always a good idea.
Welcome to the forums

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Most laptops nowadays come with a soldered memory stick and a vacant dimm slot to save on manufacturing costs.

Correct me if im wrong, afaik, populating the dimm slot should run in dual channel with the soldered ram, or flex mode if ram is of different size.

Dec 9, 2019
single slot means single channel. you cannot run dual channel with a single slot.
you need two slots for dual channel.
you could buy a larger stick and replace what you have.
RAM is always a good idea.
Welcome to the forums
Thanks! Yeah I suppose my phrasing is wrong. I'm aware I can't do dual channel in a single slot, I think I subconsciously mentioned it because I was making a comparison of performance, if I had another 8gb stick in a (hypothetically) second slot over replacing the 8gb with a 16gb(which is realistically all I can do, but I was questioning if my only option is even worth it). but based on what was said here I kinda realized, oh yeah duh, most games don't use over 8gb. So I think I wouldn't need to swap it with an 16gb stick. Kind of a minor dilemma, but nonetheless thanks!

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Would want to make sure your laptop can run dual channel because dual channel makes a faster cpu. Also many games run better with 16gb because Windows consumes roughly 2~3gb for itself. Out of 8gb, there isn't much left really.

TRENDING THREADS