[SOLVED] Will upgrading GPU show huge improvement in games?

Nov 1, 2018
Do I need to upgrade both GPU and CPU to see actual improvement in gameplay? I am not sure which affects what mostly in a video game. All I know is that they go hand in hand on putting in work for the game to run well. I am upgrading my EVGA GTX 980 classified to a MSI RTX 2070. I have the choice to save up and get better cpu first which is my i5-6600k which I have heard many problems about for gaming so I am not sure if I should get this GPU first or save up and get CPU upgrade.

PS: I know 2070 is expensive but I have a good friend who is giving it to me for cheap so I have the decision to upgrade at least that for now or wait and upgrade CPU first.

Last edited:
Solution
Do I need to upgrade both GPU and CPU to see actual improvement in gameplay? I am not sure which affects what mostly in a video game. All I know is that they go hand in hand on putting in work for the game to run well. I am upgrading my EVGA GTX 980 classified to a MSI RTX 2070. I have the choice to save up and get better cpu first which is my i5-6600k which I have heard many problems about for gaming so I am not sure if I should get this GPU first or save up and get CPU upgrade.

PS: I know 2070 is expensive but I have a good friend who is giving it to me for cheap so I have the decision to upgrade at least that for now or wait and upgrade CPU first.

If you are getting the 2070 for a good price, then you may as well upgrade...

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
By most reports youll see about a 8% bottleneck on a new I5 6600K and a new 2070, so with aging it can be hard to appoximate exact bottle neck. But with the 2070 having roughly 40% better FPS than a 980 in most cases (often higher), even with bottle neck youll see about a 20-30% performance increase (massive approximation due to aging and thermals which are unknowns to me). It is worth noting that if you play CPU intensive games youll be restricted by the CPU.

If you are getting the 2070 for a good price, then you may as well upgrade and sell the 980 in any case. If you find it is not a good improvement that way, then you can think about a better CPU. Also depends on the resolution you play at. For 1080 a 980 is perfectly fine at high settings even if it's a few generations old.

Solution