Will Upgrading help me? *Info required*

Dongle

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hi everybody! First off I received my free Windows 7 Home Prem 64bit in the mail and debating whether to upgrade from Vista. More than likely everyone will say "Do it you fool!" but I am worried about a few things.

I have only one problem with Vista, and that would be the shell extension problem causing windows explorer to crash on me randomly when opening folders, right clicking files, and well anything really. Will upgrading solve this problem? Other than that I am only worried about upgrading and having to reinstall any programs to get them to work, games primarily.

Sys specs:
AMD X4 955 BE
ASUS 4870 1gig
4g 1333mhz DDR3
ASUS 790GX mobo
Vista Home Prem 64bit

I've done a little reading on my own and asking friends and gotten mixed reviews. Everything you read embraces Windows 7 like the second coming and never really know until you get good advice from a community that helped me build my pc!

ulysses35

Distinguished
I recently switched form Vista 64 to Windows 7 / 64 and without sound like everyone else the process is very smooth and so far no problems whatsoever.

I have not found anything that I used on Vista that hasnt worked in Windows 7 so far.

Dongle

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Thanks for the quick response. I guess it's time to hop on board and see what all the fuss is about. I'll report back if any problems arise after work tomorrow. Thanks again, I'll keep checking back.

atk0309

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Upgrading to win7 should fix it. As far as i tracked my upgrade process it should replace most of the stuff with new one.
So it should work like a charm.
But have a backup copy it never hurts :)