Question Will upgrading my CPU only give more FPS?

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
A bit of a noob question honestly but not sure if upgrading CPU is complete waste performance wise of not.

I currently have a RTX 3080 paired with a AMD 5700X. I'm looking at upgrading to a newer platform not only for better performance but currently have odd issues with my motherboard and want more M.2, and etc.

But yeah, will upgrading my CPU only (and new RAM since DDR5 but sure doesn't change much), at the end of the line, give me more FPS? Granted I understand not all games will since some are more on GPU only, but like overall, it should right? For example I plan on getting the upcoming 7900x3D. For more info I play in 1080P but also sometime do VR.

Reactions: jnjnilson6

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Faster CPU never hurts.

but its expensive to upgrade.

You could sell the 5700x and just get a 5800x3d for now.

Save your money for the next build or GPU upgrade.

Ha I bought the one I have now exactly as an upgrade for in the meantime and got it instead of the 5800x3d since price was so cheap, I do regret.

But like I said, I do have a USB issue with my current MOBO and want more M.2 slots for the future so rather upgrade now. I also already scored a MOBO I like on sale. This is kind of my saved money for next build kind of moment. My GPU is already pretty strong right?

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Ha I bought the one I have now exactly as an upgrade for in the meantime and got it instead of the 5800x3d since price was so cheap, I do regret.

But like I said, I do have a USB issue with my current MOBO and want more M.2 slots for the future so rather upgrade now. I also already scored a MOBO I like on sale. This is kind of my saved money for next build kind of moment. My GPU is already pretty strong right?
Although CPU fetures more at 1080p gaming you wouldn't get much and even that except in some games Another M.2 SSD would help even less. I would suggest you upgrade platform when ready an for now just save money for it,
Reasons being that in few months time to a year prices for MBs and RAM will stabilize and get cheaper wile SSDs will be available with highers speeds and capacities. Performance in games doesn't scale up linearly with HW , in some cases you could be looking at few FPS in games even by doubling performance of HW,

A bit of a noob question honestly but not sure if upgrading CPU is complete waste performance wise of not.

I currently have a RTX 3080 paired with a AMD 5700X. I'm looking at upgrading to a newer platform not only for better performance but currently have odd issues with my motherboard and want more M.2, and etc.

But yeah, will upgrading my CPU only (and new RAM since DDR5 but sure doesn't change much), at the end of the line, give me more FPS? Granted I understand not all games will since some are more on GPU only, but like overall, it should right? For example I plan on getting the upcoming 7900x3D. For more info I play in 1080P but also sometime do VR.

What monitor are you using?

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Although CPU fetures more at 1080p gaming you wouldn't get much and even that except in some games Another M.2 SSD would help even less. I would suggest you upgrade platform when ready an for now just save money for it,
Reasons being that in few months time to a year prices for MBs and RAM will stabilize and get cheaper wile SSDs will be available with highers speeds and capacities. Performance in games doesn't scale up linearly with HW , in some cases you could be looking at few FPS in games even by doubling performance of HW,

I'm aware M.2 doesn't help for games. I'm just saying I want to change my motherboard in part because I want more M.2 for the future and currently facing USB issues with my MOBO. I already purchased my motherboard so I will probably change my CPU anyways but as a bonus if a new CPU gives me 20% FPS that's great and what I want to know.

How much of a boost in percentage will I get with a new CPU?

I have 2 ASUS VG259QR

Game on one or using them both at the same time?

You keep alluding to USB issues with your current motherboard but don't explain what the issue is.

A 7700x wll perform better than your 5700x at 1080p using the 3080.The 5800x3d would perform far better than the 5700x but deos depend on the game and core useage.

I would try to resolve the issue with your motherboard, get the 5900x or 5800x3d and save your money for now.

Your monitors are limited to 165Hz, meaning 165FPS. You may be able to achive 200-250 FPS but your monitor can't display anything above 165Hz.

Reactions: gummybear_qc
You indicate you scored a motherboard you like on sale.
Have you already bought a new motherboard?
If so what is it?

To test if a faster cpu would help, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Do you have a budget?
It might be helpful to list the make/model of all of your current parts so we can see what can usefully be reused.

Reactions: gummybear_qc

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Game on one or using them both at the same time?

You keep alluding to USB issues with your current motherboard but don't explain what the issue is.

A 7700x wll perform better than your 5700x at 1080p using the 3080.The 5800x3d would perform far better than the 5700x but deos depend on the game and core useage.

I would try to resolve the issue with your motherboard, get the 5900x or 5800x3d and save your money for now.

Your monitors are limited to 165Hz, meaning 165FPS. You may be able to achive 200-250 FPS but your monitor can't display anything above 165Hz.

I game on one only but the other is always connected for like discord, etc.

I don't explain the USB issues since I wasn't really making this post to troubleshoot, kinda of already went through taht but the problem is that some of my USB ports don't seem to supply enough power anymore. Before they worked fine and could supply power. For example, if I plug my KB in it, the RGBs won't work properly like they try to go on a color but they can't. You can see how some RGB aren't getting enough power to trigger the full color spectrum. If I plug my USB hub it won't have enough power to power the devices, or if I plug my dashcam for example, it doesn't have enough power to turn it on and access files. Also noticed charging things in those ports is much slower now. I think using my 510 Vape charger may have fried these ports. and I now exclusively use my power bank to charge my 510 vape device now.

Yeah I know my monitor is 165 FPS max but like in GTA V I was having a difficult time staying above 60 FPS in some rare scenario at maximum graphics. I want to be bale to max out games at 1080P and right now sometimes I get hiccups on FPS where it will go under 60. Far Cry 6 is perfect example right now. I can't max it out while having consistent 60 FPS+ It's low FPS like that I would like to have more overall and avoid by getting a better CPU. But yeah, I think considering this, I will wait for the 7800x3D in a month to come out and after reading how people are suspecting the 7900X3D to perform not as good gaming wise and really be a bad choice.

Last edited:

gummybear_qc

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
You indicate you scored a motherboard you like on sale.
Have you already bought a new motherboard?
If so what is it?

To test if a faster cpu would help, try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Do you have a budget?
It might be helpful to list the make/model of all of your current parts so we can see what can usefully be reused.

Yes I did purchase it. It's a ASUS TUF B650-PLUS WIFI. Had 15 days to return it so it's why I was prbably going to buy 7900X3D or return it but after seeing 7950X3D and simulated 7800X3D reviews I think the 7900X3D is going to be a complete waste for the money, especially since I do not do productivity. I didn't really have a budget either but at the same time, don't want to waste money for just 2 FPS.

For my current specs:
MOBO: Msi B450 GAMING PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700X
CPU cooler: Corsair h100i RGB Pro XT
RAM: DDR4 Corsair vengeance pro RGB 2x8GB 3000mhz CL16
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3080
Storage: 1TB M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus and one 2TB and one 1TB Crucial MX500 Sata drives
Case: Corsair 4000x
PSU: Corsair AX760

Last edited: