Will upgrading my graphic card enhance FPS ?!?

Jul 14, 2018
Actually i have a really low end PC
Core 2 Duo E 4600
RAM 2GB
Intel 825495g chipset family

So lately i've been thinking to upgrade my graphic card to nvidia gt710 (and my motherboard is compatible it has PCIE 16 port) so will upgrading it enhance fps in games and will my Pc be able to run more games that it couldnt till now

(i checked systemrequirementlab and there are many games which i couldnt run only because of my graphic card)

Solution
Yes you will have way more higher FPS, and Yes you will be able to play way more games since the card I recommended will provide Directx 10, Directx 10.1, Directx 11, Directx 12, and 1GB graphics memory. Basically with this graphics card you can play any game out there but just some will have lag like those HUGE games like PUBG. You say, cards that are not too powerful and cheap, yea, buy an R5 240 I got mine for $24 works very wel, BUT I played CS:GO with it and it lagged not because of the graphics card but the CPU, my CPU is Core 2 Duo E6400, so games like CS:GO are more CPU intensive, also Call of Duty: World At War will LAG on your system after buying the R5 240 again, because of your CPU, so also upgrade your CPU, get a Quad Core...
Jul 14, 2018

like i can'nt run HDR maps on counter strike source and can'nt run games like just cause 1,splinter cell pandora tomorrow,call of duty world at war etc.

Rhythmm

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Well yeah you would clearly notice a big difference. A dedicated gpu is better than onboard one. And since you clearly want to play older games, there will be a big difference in those games i would say.

Though your system isn't really for gaming its too old. It really needs an upgrade. Maybe get a ryzen 2200g or something similar. They have really good graphics processing capability.

Rhythmm

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Considering he is from India by his username, the second hand or used market isn't very good here. We don't have much choice. I would still recommend buying a new gpu rather than a used one since he doesn't want to play new games.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Fair enough, but the GT 710 is garbage, total waste of money in my opinion. The IGPU on modern cpus is better.

Even one of the fake GPUs from AliExpress would be better than the GT 710.

Rhythmm

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

Yepp I agree. But he would need to change his motherboard and ram too for that. Don't have any experience about aliexpress gpu's though. They always seemed fishy to me.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

They basically sell things like 750 ti or 1050 ti labeled cards, but they are just gtx 550 ti/650 ti re badged.

Even one of them would be miles better than a gt 710.

Gaurav_40

Honorable
Mar 13, 2017
The final answer is YES they will make a significant difference in your games. GT 710 may be a old and low-end GPU. Even some of the modern processors's iGPU are better than gt 710 in terms of performance. but considering your PC and Requirements, i would suggest you to go for the gt 710. As your PC has a Core 2 E4600 and 2 gigs of ram, it think any dedicated GPU will give your pc a boost.
However if you can spent 2-3K more than gt 710, i definitely recommend you to go for GT 730 which is ideal for low-end old gaming PC.
It's your choice both of the GPUs are good for your pc and will serve you well. As for now the GT 710 is good but you can surely go for a little bit better gt 730 for about twice the money.

Thanks for reading my answer, hope it helps.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
No, do not buy the gt 710, buy a Radeon R7 240 it is more powerful and very cheap on ebay, BUT we must know how much power you have in your power supply for example, I have 275 watts, what type of pc do you have, if you upgrade the graphics and not the CPU IT IS NOT WORTH IT, that old CPU will cause the games to lag, right now I have an R5 240 and Core 2 Duo E6400, I play GTA V and it lags soo bad, not because the GPU but THE CPU, I will be uprgading the CPU soon to Core 2 Quad Q6700 let me know what type of pc you have so I can know if your pc can handle a Quad Core, ALSO the R7 240 sells for VERY CHEAP look here but dont buy yet we need to know if your computer requires a low profile bracket graphics card, so take a picture of your computer while its open or tell me what its called.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu really won't make much of a difference. Between that cpu and just 2Gb of ram, Op is barely able to run Windows. The only thing a gpu will do is alleviate stress on the ram as the igpu is currently sharing it. At most a gt740 would be ok. There's simply not enough pc to support anything bigger.

Rhythmm

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016

He wont be able to find a r7 card. They are simply not available in India. Ebay is really bad here, not reliable at all.

Jul 14, 2018

im not planning to buy any powerful graphic card as if by any chance my my computer stops working (as it is old) i wont have any major loss of money and then maybe i would assemble a better PC .and im planning for playing old games as i know my processor cant handle new games that is why i m just planning to buy a new cheap graphic card

Jul 14, 2018

Also i saw on systemrequirementslab my pc is able to run games like cod waw csgo etc if my gpu is better (right now its a piece of shit )but if i upgrade my gpu would the new games have better fps ?????

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you add a discrete graphics card, yes, fps will be better. But the pc itself is going to be hard pressed to get much of an improvement. So if you are seeing 30fps at low settings, you'll be at 40fps low settings etc. It's not going to be a miricle cure with just 2Gb of system ram. In most games, the fps won't make much of a noticeable difference.

polis_putrus

Prominent
Apr 24, 2018
Yes you will have way more higher FPS, and Yes you will be able to play way more games since the card I recommended will provide Directx 10, Directx 10.1, Directx 11, Directx 12, and 1GB graphics memory. Basically with this graphics card you can play any game out there but just some will have lag like those HUGE games like PUBG. You say, cards that are not too powerful and cheap, yea, buy an R5 240 I got mine for $24 works very wel, BUT I played CS:GO with it and it lagged not because of the graphics card but the CPU, my CPU is Core 2 Duo E6400, so games like CS:GO are more CPU intensive, also Call of Duty: World At War will LAG on your system after buying the R5 240 again, because of your CPU, so also upgrade your CPU, get a Quad Core CPU, but you must tel us what type of system you have and how much watts it has because if you have very low watts the power sypply will burn after the upgrade, so tell us, Thanks

Solution
Jul 14, 2018

hmm so maybe ive to wait until my pc stops working because if im spending money i would spend it on assembling a new PC with better specs ...

Haha, I think everyone is looking at this the wrong way. I'm a budget gamer, and I have learned that it's best to buy what you can afford, and then pick the games that will run on it.

If, right now, the best you can have is a Core 2 Duo E 4600 and GT 710, then get the GT 710 and play the games that will run on that system. These may be some of the games you named, but some of those games might not run well enough to play. Find games that are easier to run.

I gamed using an HD 5450, which is a garbage card for gaming. But I ran at settings and resolutions low enough for the card to handle, and I only played games that the card could handle.

If you have to play a specific game, then you will need a card good enough for that game. There's no way to make a low end card play a game that demands more than that card offers. One tip, in low end cards, having DDR5 instead of DDR3 helps a lot. I don't know what's available where you are but if someone offers a DDR5 710 there then that would be the one to get.