Will upgrading to a 144hz monitor solve screen tearing?

aieth

Commendable
Dec 26, 2016
I planned to buy a new 144hz monitor with freesync (i have a nvidia card but can't afford a g-sync) to reduce screen tearing since my current 60hz Samsung monitor has a lot of it.

But i read that higher refresh rates might even make the screen tearing worse.

So my question is if the refresh rate really doesn't have much to do with the screen tearing, and getting at a better monitor won't help reduce screen tearing?

My specs are:
Samsung SyncMaster BX2431 (at least 5 years old)
GTX 1070
I7 7700K
16 GB RAM

Solution
Tearing is a result of the GPUs output not matching the Monitor's refresh rate. Syncing prevents that. V-sync forces the GPU to match the monitor's refresh rate. Tearing will still occur if your GPU can't maintain the output. So a 144hz panel won't help if you can't maintain 144hz with V-sync on.

With V-sync off the tears will be overwritten with new frames quickly, so they might be less noticeable. But given the right settings and GPU performance the tear might always be in the same place. I ran into this with a Crysis mod, where the resolution, settings, and my GPU put the tear almost always just below the crosshair when turning.

G-sync and freesync let the GPU control the refresh rate and avoid the problem altogether. The GPU...
If you don't want screen tearing, you need to use some form of syncing technology. G-Sync, FreeSync, VSYNC, or even adaptive sync.

Getting a faster screen should show the tearing more clearly, as the screen can more clearly represent the partial frames from the GPU, which is the actual cause of the screen tearing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tearing is a result of the GPUs output not matching the Monitor's refresh rate. Syncing prevents that. V-sync forces the GPU to match the monitor's refresh rate. Tearing will still occur if your GPU can't maintain the output. So a 144hz panel won't help if you can't maintain 144hz with V-sync on.

With V-sync off the tears will be overwritten with new frames quickly, so they might be less noticeable. But given the right settings and GPU performance the tear might always be in the same place. I ran into this with a Crysis mod, where the resolution, settings, and my GPU put the tear almost always just below the crosshair when turning.

G-sync and freesync let the GPU control the refresh rate and avoid the problem altogether. The GPU decides when to start drawing a frame, not the monitor.

Solution