[SOLVED] Will USB 3.2 with a PCIe 3.0 x2 be compatible with a 2.0 header?

Jul 11, 2021
Basically, I have the MSI b450 gaming carbon max wi-fi and my PC case has a USB C connector (MSI Gungnir 110R) and the motherboard doesn't have the matching header. I want to buy an adapter (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silv...ternal-pcie-3.0-x2-low-profile-cc-01d-sv.html) but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the motherboard with the different 3.0 and 2.0. will I lose any speeds for transferring or anything like that? And if it's compatible where would I plug in the adapter? Any information is appreciated as I have no idea about this stuff. If you have any better solutions to be able to use the USB C port for charging and data transfer it would also be very appreciated.

Solution
The card you linked should do just fine.

But since you mentioned charging, I want to point out that a regular USB-C port does not support USB-PD (USB Power Delivery) or Qualcomm Quick Charge. So don't expect fast charging.

To get fast charging out of a PC's USB-C port, you need Thunderbolt. Right now, Thunderbolt PCIe cards only work if your motherboard has a Thunderbolt header, so that's basically out of the question. So I just want to make sure you realize that your charging won't be fast.
Basically, I have the MSI b450 gaming carbon max wi-fi and my PC case has a USB C connector (MSI Gungnir 110R) and the motherboard doesn't have the matching header. I want to buy an adapter (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silv...ternal-pcie-3.0-x2-low-profile-cc-01d-sv.html) but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the motherboard with the different 3.0 and 2.0. will I lose any speeds for transferring or anything like that? And if it's compatible where would I plug in the adapter? Any information is appreciated as I have no idea about this stuff. If you have any better solutions to be able to use the USB C port for charging and data transfer it would also be very appreciated.

You should pick another card with solid capacitor (may cost a couple of dollars more).

Basically if all you need is an USB-C connector, this card will do the job.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
The card you linked should do just fine.

But since you mentioned charging, I want to point out that a regular USB-C port does not support USB-PD (USB Power Delivery) or Qualcomm Quick Charge. So don't expect fast charging.

To get fast charging out of a PC's USB-C port, you need Thunderbolt. Right now, Thunderbolt PCIe cards only work if your motherboard has a Thunderbolt header, so that's basically out of the question. So I just want to make sure you realize that your charging won't be fast.

Solution