[SOLVED] Will Vive Cosmos be worth it in a bit.

Skippy2416

Honorable
Mar 7, 2017
So Christmas came and went and now I am getting a VR headset open box. I wanted the rift S but my IPD is 71mm so that is a no go and the quest is out of stock everywhere. So will the vive cosmos be a safe bet for me. I know they are having tracking issues at the moment but also the Rift S at launch had problems as well. So the question is if I am able to get the cosmos for 500 bucks is it worth it. Or should I get a pre owned Original Vive.

Solution
you could get a Cosmos, but that's a lot of pixels to push which means unless you have beefy AF hardware, you won't get that good of frame rates.

the cosmos is still plagued by a couple of issues regarding headband, the lenses, etc.

But if wearing glasses it might be the best option for you.

Alternatively, there are face padding attachments for Rift S that can extend the length it sits away from your face for things like glasses.

Here's a pretty good review of some of those things I was talking about with the cosmos so you can decide for yourself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZFWxI4sNcA

But the key thing here is that unless you've got beefy hardware, your fps will most likely be...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you could get a Cosmos, but that's a lot of pixels to push which means unless you have beefy AF hardware, you won't get that good of frame rates.

the cosmos is still plagued by a couple of issues regarding headband, the lenses, etc.

Alternatively, there are face padding attachments for Rift S that can extend the length it sits away from your face for things like glasses.

Here's a pretty good review of some of those things I was talking about with the cosmos so you can decide for yourself.

But the key thing here is that unless you've got beefy hardware, your fps will most likely be capped at 45fps and SteamVR will do what's called reframing to try and make it feel like 90fps to make it a bit smoother than a straight 45fps.

Solution

Skippy2416

Honorable
Mar 7, 2017

But the key thing here is that unless you've got beefy hardware, your fps will most likely be capped at 45fps and SteamVR will do what's called reframing to try and make it feel like 90fps to make it a bit smoother than a straight 45fps.

I have a R5 3600 and a 1660ti. Also I do not have glasses. With my wide eyes I can’t use the rift s and due to the back order on the Quest it isnt an option at the moment