[SOLVED] Will we be able to install W11 on 6th gen without TPM?

Solution
As others have stated, Win11 is still a work in progress and subject to change. So we can only speculate based on the currently released beta versions. Based on current versions, a direct installation would not be possible. That means you'll need a workaround. Several have been proposed so far, again based on currently available beta versions, including modifying that install process, or if they are eventually issued, obtaining an OEM install version which supposedly will not require TPM support. Personally just out of curiosity I tried copying a disk image of the installation on my newer Z590 11900K build onto my older H97 4770S computer, and it worked fine. After playing with it for an hour, I got bored and restored my Win10 image on...
As others have stated, Win11 is still a work in progress and subject to change. So we can only speculate based on the currently released beta versions. Based on current versions, a direct installation would not be possible. That means you'll need a workaround. Several have been proposed so far, again based on currently available beta versions, including modifying that install process, or if they are eventually issued, obtaining an OEM install version which supposedly will not require TPM support. Personally just out of curiosity I tried copying a disk image of the installation on my newer Z590 11900K build onto my older H97 4770S computer, and it worked fine. After playing with it for an hour, I got bored and restored my Win10 image on my older build. But that was a post installation image. So the real question is: will the final version work on older hardware just by bypassing the initial install check or will Win11 periodically check the hardware after installation to make its still in compliance with TPM and other requirements. If its just an install issue, then by the time Win11 is finalized, you will see numerous articles, files and disk images on the web allowing you to do what you want. If its more than an install issue, then most older builds will have to stay with Win10 until it dies. Personally I don't care either way since Win11 doesn't offer anything to me, but its good to try it just to relieve curiosity and boredom, and to make sure it doesn't offer anything worth upgrading about.

Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Just wait until the "hackers" fix windows 11 so "old and slow hardware" like skylake 10 core cpus can run 11. You have a few years before programs/games will require 11, I would hold off until you need 11 to run something you want to run, and maybe by then Microsoft will realize their mistake and take away the requirements or like I said the "hackers" will fix it, but if there is a non Microsoft fix, there's a good chance you will need to run it in a vm or something, which will be fine.

Endre

Reputable
Just wait until the "hackers" fix windows 11 so "old and slow hardware" like skylake 10 core cpus can run 11. You have a few years before programs/games will require 11, I would hold off until you need 11 to run something you want to run, and maybe by then Microsoft will realize their mistake and take away the requirements or like I said the "hackers" will fix it, but if there is a non Microsoft fix, there's a good chance you will need to run it in a vm or something, which will be fine.

Running an OS in a VM is not the same as running it natively!

Hackers can “fix” anything, but at the end of the day, by 2025-2026, most users will own Win11 compatible PCs. Those who won’t, will be the exceptions.

DirectX 12(+), Secure boot, UEFI, TPM 2.0(+) & 64-bit CPUs are already part of the future requirements.
All vendors know it and have those in mind.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Running an OS in a VM is not the same as running it natively!

Hackers can “fix” anything, but at the end of the day, by 2025-2026, most users will own Win11 compatible PCs. Those who won’t, will be the exceptions.

DirectX 12(+), Secure boot, UEFI, TPM 2.0(+) & 64-bit CPUs are already part of the future requirements.
All vendors know it and have those in mind.
But the thing is, Skylake 10 core cpu i9s will probably be significantly stronger than a 2025 i3, so that old powerful cpu will go to waste, even the 6700k is decent for modern games/workloads, and will be fine for 30 fps gaming for future games(2025).plus some people have older computers they use as a secondary machines. I wish this secure boot tpm thing was optional, makes no sense to force it on users. Extra security is nice but if your safe on your PC and don't install anything fishy you won't really need it.

Endre

Reputable
But the thing is, Skylake 10 core cpu i9s will probably be significantly stronger than a 2025 i3, so that old powerful cpu will go to waste, even the 6700k is decent for modern games/workloads, and will be fine for 30 fps gaming for future games(2025).plus some people have older computers they use as a secondary machines. I wish this secure boot tpm thing was optional, makes no sense to force it on users. Extra security is nice but if your safe on your PC and don't install anything fishy you won't really need it.

Maybe Microsoft will support certain editions of Win10 until 2030.
Windows 7 Enterprise is still supported!

D

Deleted member 14196

There’s a lot of speculation going on and nobody knows for sure what the actual requirements will be when it’s released so how could anybody answer this question?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
ms is not even pretending anymore that windows is not a total surveillance tool.

last requirement list had a webcam/mic as a requirement. not a single reason for such a thing other than to be able to spy on the users more than they are now.

i am still running a heavily modified win 7 and working linux into my daily driver as i learn more about it. i will never be using win 10/11/12........ name it whatever you want but in the end it is still windows spyware edition as far as i can see

Reactions: colin.p

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
ms is not even pretending anymore that windows is not a total surveillance tool.

last requirement list had a webcam/mic as a requirement. not a single reason for such a thing other than to be able to spy on the users more than they are now.

i am still running a heavily modified win 7 and working linux into my daily driver as i learn more about it. i will never be using win 10/11/12........ name it whatever you want but in the end it is still windows spyware edition as far as i can see
You could run a vm of newer versions offline to run certain programs that don't support windows 7 or Linux, you can use it offline indefinitely and it won't give you a watermark if it never calls home. I really hope a good windows runtime environment is created one day so we won't need windows anymore. Requiring a mic and camera makes no sense, you don't need one, it only means they are on track to becoming more like Google/apple which is never a good thing. Using their "ai" abomination to collect data.

Endre

Reputable
You could run a vm of newer versions offline to run certain programs that don't support windows 7 or Linux, you can use it offline indefinitely and it won't give you a watermark if it never calls home. I really hope a good windows runtime environment is created one day so we won't need windows anymore. Requiring a mic and camera makes no sense, you don't need one, it only means they are on track to becoming more like Google/apple which is never a good thing. Using their "ai" abomination to collect data.

Yeah, the mic and the cam requirements make no sense!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, the mic and the cam requirements make no sense!

makes total sense when you consider why it would be there. windows has nothing to do with the user anymore. the requirements are purely what ms needs to completely and totally spy on you 24/7. google already admits it turns on your mic and camera on your android device at will and records/analyses whatever it happens to hear/see.

will take a while but eventually ms will also admit it since they also already do it. they just hid it better before. as i said, they just dropping all pretenses since no one calls em on it.

USAFRet

Titan
It makes sense if you think back to the original 'requirements' in the Insider previre Tech Release of Win 10.
The requirements of that changed significantly when it was actually released.

Yet people were still freaking out about that years later, and still referring to articles from spring/summer 2015, before it was released.

The mic and headphones being 'required'?
Sorry, but no. That cannot be an actual thing.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
"But interestingly, all new non-desktops will be required to have front-facing cameras of at least 720p resolution starting in 2023"

this is straight from tom's recent summary article

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-everything-you-need-to-know

it does say "non-desktop" for the moment, but still making a camera a requirement for any device is very highly suspect. won't take long to extend this to all win 11 devices.

Endre

Reputable
makes total sense when you consider why it would be there. windows has nothing to do with the user anymore. the requirements are purely what ms needs to completely and totally spy on you 24/7. google already admits it turns on your mic and camera on your android device at will and records/analyses whatever it happens to hear/see.

will take a while but eventually ms will also admit it since they also already do it. they just hid it better before. as i said, they just dropping all pretenses since no one calls em on it.

I think that this is where consumer protection should step in!
These big tech giants create platforms that we, users, can’t use unless we agree with the terms & conditions.
But we should be given more options to choose from!

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
I think that this is where consumer protection should step in!
These big tech giants create platforms that we, users, can’t use unless we agree with the terms & conditions.
But we should be given more options to choose from!
Microsoft acts like you "chose" their platform, when in reality they have a monopoly on compatible software/games that won't work elsewhere, this was their plan many years ago. If there was composition, rust me Microsoft wouldn't be so bold.

Joseph_138

Distinguished

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The i3 10100 is already faster than a i7-7700, and the i5-10400 runs about even with a i7-8700. It's not such a big stretch to believe that an i3 from 4 or 5 years into the future might not be faster than the oldest i9. It may not have the cores, but architectural improvements, and new technologies, can go a long way to closing the gap. The i3 may even have a 6/12 core by then. We have to wait and see.

TRENDING THREADS