Will we ever see memory under $10/gb again?

ealvar

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
I've been thinking about going Core i5/i7 until I looked at the cost of RAM. It has skyrocketed in cost compared to what it was a year ago.

I dug through my email and saw that I had ordered 8gb (4 x2gb) DDR2 for under $60 shipped from Newegg last August. If I were to buy 8gb of DDR3 today it would cost at least $255.

Insanity...

I was contemplating replacing my Q6600 system which has 8gb with a 16gb or 32gb i5/i7 system since the price for mobo/cpu is very reasonable. Then I checked out RAM pricing and it's just not worth it.

BTW, I run Citrix XenServer to host multiple VMs which is why I'd like to have a system with 8gb+.

DDR3 is DIRT cheap compared to a year ago, I purchased a set of 3x2GB Dominators last year for around 500.00$ , you should be happy that DDR3 is now mainstream.... Not sure what you are complaining about....

BTW, 8GB of DDR3 is around 170.00/200.00$ depending on brand and timings....

As time goes by DDR3 will get cheaper and DDR2 will get more expensive, it's like a cycle....

You posted above that you had an e-mail where you ordered a set of 4x2Gb for under 60.00$ (shipped)?? I think you should read that e-mail again, it should state 2 x2Gb not 4 x2Gb ;) The cheapest DDR2 was back in may when a set of 2 x2Gb was around 39.99$.

ealvar

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

4gb modules come with a heftier price tag than 2gb modules. I'd like to max out whatever motherboard I end up getting with 4gb modules.

So, yeah, you're right about 8gb of 4x2gb DDR3 being in the sub $200 range. But 2x4gb is where the premium is right now.

Kicking myself for not picking up more DDR2 when I had the chance :) I could have easily put together another C2Q system that would hold me over until the DDR3 comes down.

Thanks for the input.

RAM's are in the twilight zone now. DDR2 setting and DDR3 rising. I don't think you would see RAM's prices as low as DDR2. The thing is that, DDR3 is a better quality and would have a relative higher price of manufacturing than DDR2. You said $60 for DDR2, for the same DDR3 RAM maybe $70-$80 when its the total mainstream.

racerx_is_alive

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Is DDR2 going to do nothing but go up then? I was thinking prices might drop after the holiday season was over. Not ready to jump to a whole new mobo/processor yet, but now that I'm getting a 64-bit OS I was planning on beefing up the ram a bit. Should have grabbed the extra couple of gig when it was $20, not $60.

Yep^^^^...... The prices on DDR2 will keep going up and DDR3 will go down....

This is nothing new, same thing happend when DDR1 was mainstream, DDR2 prices were outrageous and later on they dropped in price once DDR3 came out. It's a cycle that we see everytime new RAM is introduced...

Well if you really knew how much it cost's to make a single module you would think that a set of 2x2Gb DDR2-800 at 39.99$ would be a major rip-off. Same goes for thumb drives, when they came out the 8Gb was around 79.99$ or more and now you can get one for 9.99$ off e-bay.... And finally SSD's... In 2-3 years they will be dirt cheap....