Question Will we see more Am4 price drops after Black Friday or is it better to buy now even though AM4 is nearly obsolete?

5tudent

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2013
Will we see more AM4 price drops after Black Friday or is it better to buy now on Black Friday even though AM4 is nearly obsolete? I am willing to wait 5 months before buying a Ryzen 5700g. What do you think?

Will we see more AM4 price drops after Black Friday or is it better to buy now on Black Friday even though AM4 is nearly obsolete? I am willing to wait 5 months before buying a Ryzen 5700g. What do you think?
I'd not buy a motherboard now and wait 5 months for a processor to put on it, not when tech pricing and availability changes as it does.

Also: AM4 may be obsolete but it's not irrelevant. In fact, unless we see lower prices of the whole AM5 platform (motherboard and memory too) it will remain relevant for a while. AMD had better continue producing CPU's and chipsets for it or they'll not have anything to sell that's affordable in the consumer space.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
They are talking about new am5 cpus coming out early next year. If they get a ryzen 3 option and a couple of budget ryzen 5 and 7 options that would likely help.

I've also seen stories about current 7000 series CPU's seeing price reductions, that may be in the EU where retail pricing was higher.

This all helps with CPU affordability but the motherboard prices are outrageous and DDR5 isn't seeing the big drops needed to make a good price/performance bargain. Definitely not like AM4 systems still can when upgrading the CPU on an existing motherboard.