Will WEI increase if HD is connected?

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I would think not since Windows Experience Index seems to be limited by the weakest component.

After installing Windows 7 on a Crucial M4 128 MB SSD and re-connecting the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB HD my WEI was still 5.9 (same as before adding the SSD). However when I disconnected the HD my WEI went to 7.7.

I'm concerned because someone on another forum said his WEI was 7.9 without disconnecting his HD. Though I get a high AS-SSD score and sub 20 sec Windows boot, my PC doesn't feel any faster than before adding the SSD and software installations that were were stupid fast on the Spinpoint F3 are now extremely slow and often fail.

Solution

While it wasn't designed for SSDs, there is no reason that the added performance of an SSD would not affect WEI in any of the tests it uses.

To the Poster: Your WEI is limited by the HDD because you have Windows on it and the SSD both. I'm surprised it doesn't screw more things up.

Meganano

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Yes I'm in AHCI mode with SSD on SATA III port and I'm getting sequential reads over 500 MB/sec from the SSD. However I still have Windows installed on the HD which might explain the low WEI score when the HD is connected. The HD was disconnected when I installed Windows on the SSD which was painfully slow. Will Windows installation on the HD have any effect practical performance of the SSD?

greenrider02

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

While it wasn't designed for SSDs, there is no reason that the added performance of an SSD would not affect WEI in any of the tests it uses.

To the Poster: Your WEI is limited by the HDD because you have Windows on it and the SSD both. I'm surprised it doesn't screw more things up.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS