[SOLVED] will Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit OS run on an SSD (compatible unit yet to be acquired) in a Toshiba Satellite Pro P200 PSPB7C-S030BC?

Oct 24, 2020
Hey all ...

I have to resolve two unknowns:

--> will Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit OS run on the Subject laptop? ( (Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T7250 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz, Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB))

--> will I be able to find a compatible SSD of a large(r) size to replace a TOSHIBA MK1246GSX HDD? (120 GB storage capacity, 2.5 inch, Serial ATA/150 interface)

If yes to the latter, what technical descriptor (search) parameters should I be keeping in mind as I seek an appropriate SSD?

Thanks for any insights offerred ... Kevin

Solution
I have converted several such laptops to a ssd for windows.
The easy way is to use the samsung ssd migration app.
Here is a link to the app and manual:
Buy a usb to sata adapter cable.
But a samsung 860 ssd of whatever capacity you want.
You run the app to copy your C drive to the ssd.
When done, remove the HDD and replace it with the ssd and enjoy.
You will be amazed at how quick your laptop will feel.
--> will Win 7 Pro SP1 32-bit OS run on the Subject laptop? ( (Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, T7250 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz, Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB))
Sure.
--> will I be able to find a compatible SSD of a large(r) size to replace a TOSHIBA MK1246GSX HDD? (120 GB storage capacity, 2.5 inch, Serial ATA/150 interface)
Also - yes. Any sata 2.5" SSD is compatible. Note - you'll be getting ~ 1/4 of possible sata bandwidth on sata/150 interface.
Samsung 860 evo, crucial mx500 - would be fine choice.

Reactions: K_McIntosh
Oct 24, 2020
... awesomely speedy Reply SkyNetRising! ... I understand about the SATA/150 bandwidth bottleneck ... it is what it is ... I'm just happy to hear that there's not some fundamental incompatibility issue(s) for SSD on that h/w platform ... I'm trying to convert the (Subject) h/w to a streaming video platform (and multi-purpose PC) on a boat (streaming would be browser-based, i.e. Firefox or Chrome) and need Win 7 Pro on it (as you likely know, Netflix won't work in the browser versions supported by XP anymore) ... so, a minimal expenditure of $ is in order (any thoughts on the best bang for the buck? brand and size-wise?) ... for as long as Win 7 remains viable ... thanks for the help eh? Kevin

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you are doing a clean install anyway, i'd suggest 64-bit win 7. your key will work for it and will allow for better compatibility and more ram down the line if your laptop can handle more. nothing changes day to day except what is going on in the background. but it's just a good idea to move to 64-bit windows if possible.

Reactions: K_McIntosh
I have converted several such laptops to a ssd for windows.
The easy way is to use the samsung ssd migration app.
Here is a link to the app and manual:
Buy a usb to sata adapter cable.
But a samsung 860 ssd of whatever capacity you want.
You run the app to copy your C drive to the ssd.
When done, remove the HDD and replace it with the ssd and enjoy.
You will be amazed at how quick your laptop will feel.

Solution
Oct 24, 2020
Hey geofelt ... thanks for the advice ... I'm just gonna put a new Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD in the machine (in place of the TOSHIBA MK1246GSX) ... and then do a fresh install of Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit OS ... as far as I know, I shouldn't need any adapters to swap the old HDD for the new SSD ... Kevin

Yes, to get to a 64 bit os, you do need to do a fresh install.
Make a note of the windows 7 activation code. It should be on the laptop, possible in the battery compartment.
You will also need to install the drivers that should be available on the Toshiba support site.
In particular the keyboard and battery apps.

Keep the HDD in case you ever want to reset the laptop to factory specs for resale.

Is 250gb going to be enough?

Oct 24, 2020
... geofelt ... 250 GB enough? Not really, but, it's more about the SSD price point ... I'm not planning on storing much in teh way of files on this proposed streaming platform anyways ... Kevin