Will Win8.1 Pro activation code work on Win10 Pro clean install?

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hello,
Like the title says, will it be possible?
If yes, it makes sense.
If no, how users who upgrade from 8.1 supposed to clean install Win10 down the line in the future?

Will we (win 8.1, 8 and 7 owners) be given new activation codes?

Thanks

Solution
That's unclear as far as I know. Microsoft has indicated that the Windows 10 reset function should work after an upgrade. As far as formatting with a disk (or the case of failed HDD/SSD or HDD/SSD upgrade or whatnot) I'm not sure what their policy would be.

It seems to me that an 8.1 key might not be an option since though it's a free upgrade for now, it won't be permanently. 8.1 can be activated with an 8.0 key but that's treated more like a service pack as far as licensing. However, one year from launch the free upgrade to 10 offer expires, so letting 8.1 keys activate 10 at that point would effectively violate the upgrade policy and cost them the upgrade fee (whatever that will be).
That's unclear as far as I know. Microsoft has indicated that the Windows 10 reset function should work after an upgrade. As far as formatting with a disk (or the case of failed HDD/SSD or HDD/SSD upgrade or whatnot) I'm not sure what their policy would be.

It seems to me that an 8.1 key might not be an option since though it's a free upgrade for now, it won't be permanently. 8.1 can be activated with an 8.0 key but that's treated more like a service pack as far as licensing. However, one year from launch the free upgrade to 10 offer expires, so letting 8.1 keys activate 10 at that point would effectively violate the upgrade policy and cost them the upgrade fee (whatever that will be).

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Clean install of Win 10 info here, straight from the source:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

That's not an entirely complete answer, as I assume it needs to see the activated copy on the HDD before it's formatted. The case of a blank replacement HDD isn't answered. It's just a bit vague to me, without important specifics on the mechanism.

It's possible they can connect activation to a MS account, though that won't help those who still insist on a local account.

USAFRet

Titan

After you do the upgrade to 10, the supposed way forward is to be able to download the relevant ISO.
Clean install after that. Again and again (on that device) if you desire.

As always, this is new and we shall have to wait to see how it actually plays out.

USAFRet

Titan

Further info direct from Gabe Aul twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605899873360019457