[SOLVED] Will Windows 10 AMD drivers work on 8.1?

mangaman

Honorable
Curious as to whether or not Windows 10 AMD drivers will work on 8.1, as the lastest AMD update for 8.1 systems was back in 2017. If not, will Windows 7 AMD drivers be fine?

Solution
Yes, the whole Update process and options have changed considerably since Win 7 & 8.
You're not getting those same options back.

Just like the Update options changed from XP to 7.
The environment changes.

Mainly, because of things like this:

A fix for this was pushed out over the last week.
Avoid at your peril.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
@mangaman

Well, looks like you don't have much of an option here. Just install Windows 10 and call it a day. You'll generally get a more stable performance with Windows 10 anyway, meaning less of a chance of experiencing any stuttering.

mangaman

Honorable
10 on 8? No. 7 on 8? Maybe. Why not just use 10? 8.1 lost driver support (AMD and Nvidia) and now that 7 has lost MS support driver and support will slowly die off leaving you with no options.
@mangaman

Well, looks like you don't have much of an option here. Just install Windows 10 and call it a day. You'll generally get a more stable performance with Windows 10 anyway, meaning less of a chance of experiencing any stuttering.

Mostly because 8.1 is still working fine for me. I really don't want to upgrade to 10 yet, because 1( I like to control my updates and 2( I don't want to deal with driver/application issues if something goes wrong in the upgrade process. I might upgrade in the future, but right now I just want to know if the drivers can work on 8.1.

I can do a fresh install, but that is too time consuming and tedious.

Mostly because 8.1 is still working fine for me. I really don't want to upgrade to 10 yet, because 1( I like to control my updates and 2( I don't want to deal with driver/application issues if something goes wrong in the upgrade process. I might upgrade in the future, but right now I just want to know if the drivers can work on 8.1.

either you have never used windows 10 or only used a very early build of it. MS has given more control over updates since the first version of windows 10. stop being so closed minded.

You are limiting yourself. As I said AMD and Nvidia have both quite producing 8.1 GPU drivers. Intel still does but they don't have a high end dGPU yet. Now that 7 has been decommissioned, so to speak, driver support will slowly die off. Might actually be faster than you think to be honest. That will leave you with whatever version of drivers they last had for 7 to MAYBE work on 8.1 (that is not a grantee as 7 and 8.1 uses different libraries).

So the options are to remain on 8.1 and have driver limitations OR install 10 and have up to date working drivers.

mangaman

Honorable
either you have never used windows 10 or only used a very early build of it. MS has given more control over updates since the first version of windows 10. stop being so closed minded.

I have used 10 on my laptop. Yes you can pause updates and schedule them, but you cannot individually pick which one's to choose from. 7 and 8 allows users to pick what updates they want, but 10 does not let users pick and choose. Sometimes updates can mess with drivers and programs and knowing Microsoft, some of those updates aren't always perfect. Is 10 a good OS? Yes it is. Is it perfect? No, but it can be improved on.

I have used 10 on my laptop. Yes you can pause updates and schedule them, but you cannot individually pick which one's to choose from. 7 and 8 allows users to pick what updates they want, but 10 does not let users pick and choose. Sometimes updates can mess with drivers and programs and knowing Microsoft, some of those updates aren't always perfect. Is 10 a good OS? Yes it is. Is it perfect? No, but it can be improved on.

so you are saying you are one of the few that think's windows 8 is a more perfect OS then 10? cool

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

Well if you are concerned with what does and does not get updated, then get the windows 10 pro version. Last I heard you get more control over updates.

mangaman

Honorable
Well if you are concerned with what does and does not get updated, then get the windows 10 pro version. Last I heard you get more control over updates.

Hmmm, I do have pro, but I can only pause updates and choose when to install them on my laptop. I have version 1909, but I can't individually choose what to install and what to ignore like in 7 and 8. Am I missing something?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, the whole Update process and options have changed considerably since Win 7 & 8.
You're not getting those same options back.

Just like the Update options changed from XP to 7.
The environment changes.

Mainly, because of things like this:

A fix for this was pushed out over the last week.
Avoid at your peril.

Solution

Most regular Windows updates do not mess with drivers in any way. If they cause issues as well you can also uninstall them through Programs and Features just like in 7 as they still show up.

Another note, you can stop Windows updates from downloading and installing drivers in 10. I have been doing it since the first version of 10 came out since you don't want their older version of most GPU drivers:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10