Will Windows 10 Ever Finish Installing!?

David Ralph

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
So yesterday I decided to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 finally. It had been running a little slow so I thought maybe updating would help for some reason. It's been in the process of upgraded for probably about 18 hours now and its still on a black screen with the little windows 10 white loading circle dot thing and it seems to have made no progress. I'm just asking what I should do about this? I don't know what would happen if I shut it off so I haven't. Thanks for the help!

Solution
I would restart PC and its likely to say "rolling back to previous windows" and put the previous version of windows back on. It won't take 18 hours to do that either, about 10 minutes at most.

what were you upgrading from?

only way to make PC feel fast again would be a fresh install of win 10, not an upgrade. You don't fix slowness by upgrading windows, hardware maybe...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would restart PC and its likely to say "rolling back to previous windows" and put the previous version of windows back on. It won't take 18 hours to do that either, about 10 minutes at most.

what were you upgrading from?

only way to make PC feel fast again would be a fresh install of win 10, not an upgrade. You don't fix slowness by upgrading windows, hardware maybe...

Solution

David Ralph

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013

It's upgrading from windows 7 ultimate. It came with the computer and the laptop itself is probably about 3-4 years old. I'm not the primary user of this laptop, but it is very very slow, and I feel like I've upgraded/uninstalled every program I possibly could and its still not working. I've already checked for viruses and there are none.
UPDATE- I've restarted the PC, but instead of saying, "rolling back to windows." or something it just recovered the installation, and now it's back to the black screen with the white loading circle.

ANOTHER UPDATE (lol)- The pc is now at a blue screen and it showing the update progress for windows 10 so I think I should just wait it out now. Thanks for the help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it have an ssd or hdd? you might want to run HD Tune Trial and look at the smart scores for the drive. Generally biggest cause of slowness is a HDD or just cluttered file system. If it hasn't had a fresh install in a while it get start to feel slow.

could also explain the slowness of the install as an upgrade even on a hdd should only take an hour at most.

Try defragging hdd (unless it is an ssd)

David Ralph

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013

It is an hdd, and I will be sure to try that next to increase performance, thanks for the help

TRENDING THREADS