Will Windows 10 S work with ancient Pentium 4 3.4GHz socket 478 CPU's?

Will Windows 10 S work with ancient Pentium 4 3.4GHz socket 478 CPU's (e.g. SL7PP SL7E6), and their corresponding motherboards? I have an upgraded Dell Dimension 1100 with 2GB of RAM that's now running Ubuntu 16.x due to the demise of Windows XP, without a proper low-end-PC-compatible replacement. Will Windows 10 S work with that? I heard it was for low-end netbooks with < 2 GB of RAM, so I figured...maybe...right? :wahoo:

Solution

The socket 478 pentiums lack a certain instruction set which makes it unable to run windows 10.

But most of the time, even if your overall system specs look decent on paper (e.g. Pentium 4 3.4GHz CPU w/ 2GB RAM & 250GB HDD), the install disc won't run because you don't have a powerful enough GPU, or your CPU doesn't have modern (prerequisite) features, even despite it being faster than a particular Atom or another type of CPU with lower clock-speed but more modern CPU features.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
oldest i have it running on in my house is a q6600. though i have not tried it on anything older. runs no problem on that system but it is a decent cpu

personally i would give it a shot and see if it works. if not, then you know. if it does work, then you can share that with us so we know :)

The socket 478 pentiums lack a certain instruction set which makes it unable to run windows 10.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Win 10 S is mostly a customized cut down Win 10 Pro.
And I'm not even sure you can buy S on its own. It is built for Surface devices.

If your P4 could run regular Win 10 Home or Pro, it could run S.
But it almost certainly can't run Win 10.

Does this apply to just Pentiums or all 478 CPUs (e.g. Celeron)?

All 478 cpu's lack support for win 10.

Thank you for your help, and for clarifying that! :wahoo:

KirbysHammer

Reputable
Jun 21, 2016

Pentium 4 is the ultimate look good on paper but not in reality processor. IPC is worse than Pentium 3 on those garbage heaps and they draw over 100w on a single core for some of the later models.