Will windows 7 fit into a 60gb SSD?

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hey guys, I have a 60gb ssd and a 1tb HDD. I use the 60gb crucial m4 for Windows 7 only. The rest goes inside the HDD.

So I am asking, Will my 60gb ssd be enough for windows 7? I do all my installations on the HDD. But sometimes, Graphic card drivers and tiny bits of programs and minecraft get in the SSD. But will it be enough for a good 5 years of usage?

Currently, I have 22.4gb free of 59.5gb. For some werid reason, the amount avalible decreases very very slowly. I think its because of the programs I install like itunes. Their configurations get saved and I also have drivers in it. These pesky files get saved inside "program data" and "users".

And is there a way to make installations install on the HDD? When selecting where to install, I select the HDD but some files still go into the SSD.

Solution
yes it will fit

but doing those tweaks will gain you a fair bit of space

if you have for example 4gb of ram lowering the pagefile and deleting the hyberfil.sys file and other tweaks could gain about

10gb

deleting the hyberfil.sys file means you cant hibernate--but you can still use sleep so doesnt matter

lowering the page file is fine if you have 4gb ram or more--there are some programs that dont like no page file so dropping it to say 512mb may be better than totally disabling it

or you can move the pagefile to the 1tb drive

turning off system restore means you cant restore your pc to an earlier time if you have a problem so that ones up to you

personally i turn it off on my ssd

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

Hey. I do not have system restore.
What do u mean by the more ram you have the bigger those files will be?
And, Where can i find the hyberfil.sys and how do i lower the pagefile and what do those do and what will happen if i touch them?

Yes, I have had Win7 Home Edtion 64 bit, along with the full version of Microsoft office, my browser, and antivirus software installed on my 60gig SSD for a year and a half, I have 25 gig of free space left on it.

knight_of_baawa

Distinguished
Yes, it will fit. I have a 60G SSD; I know. I turned off hibernate (admin command prompt, and then type powercfg -h off and press enter), put the pagefile on the HDD, and turned system restore down to 1%.

When you install programs, yes some of it goes into Program Data; that's Windows. Nothing you can do about that. But you can have a 60G SSD with Win 7.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
I had a 60GB SSD and had to upgrade to a 120GB one.
My space slowly started disappearing after MS Updates and program installations (to my RAID Volume mind u).
Also, something to note, once an SSD becomes half full, it will slowly decrease in performance. Mine was almost full and it was slower than my RAID volume...

yes it will fit

but doing those tweaks will gain you a fair bit of space

if you have for example 4gb of ram lowering the pagefile and deleting the hyberfil.sys file and other tweaks could gain about

10gb

deleting the hyberfil.sys file means you cant hibernate--but you can still use sleep so doesnt matter

lowering the page file is fine if you have 4gb ram or more--there are some programs that dont like no page file so dropping it to say 512mb may be better than totally disabling it

or you can move the pagefile to the 1tb drive

turning off system restore means you cant restore your pc to an earlier time if you have a problem so that ones up to you

personally i turn it off on my ssd

Solution

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

1. How do i delete the hibernate file
2. How do i move the pagefile to my 1tb drive

Nedal0

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
The answer is a simple "YES". No need to mess with mess with Page and .sys files. These are not proven anywhere to help you gain in anyway.

Adjusting those parameters, compromises you elsewhere. It is normal for disk space to decrease with time due to Windows and other software updates.

All you need to do is make sure you install programs in the correct locations.

ThatsMyNameDude

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012

I live in Singapore. And the prices here are not exactly "correct"