Will Windows be a Free upgrade for Vista Users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooterville

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
All our computers camE with Vista Home Premium factory installed and was wondering if Windows 7 will be a Free upgrade for people with Vista?

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
of course not. 7 isn't an update to vista. (well technically it is but not in the eyes of M$). you'll have to pay full price for it like the rest of us.

Zenthar

Distinguished
When Windows 7 will be very close to release, some OEM vendors might give free upgrade voucher, but right now no. As for the price I would expect 75-100$ as previous Windows upgrades.

tonyn84

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Same price vista is now,100-150ish for an oem dvd on newegg. Side note, there will be a vista service pack 2 coming out with "some" of the features in windows 7 likely before 7 hits. Don't expect it to make Vista look like 7 though, just some of the behind the scenes stuff.

Was 98 a free upgrade for 95 users? ME and 2000 a free upgrade to 98/NT users?

No, it will be sold on its own and have an upgrade purchase option.

Free upgrades right near release to new systems may happen. They DID give free Vista to MCE 2005 users for a while if they got it at the right time.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007

He's talking about a native 64-bit. Alot of programs, most specifically sidebar programs, are native 64-bit. This means that they can only communicate with other 64-bit programs, and that includes internet explorer. So they open up the 64-bit browser by default, because that's all that they can open up. Then, inside the 64-bit browser, flash doesnt work, because adobe is lazy.

Deleted

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
You guys are not exactly right. I purchased Win XP about a month before Vista came out and when i contacted them, they offered vouchers for Vista to those people who purchased XP in a certain time period. I simply didnt because of all the negatives I was reading about. Its always good to wait a year when a new OS comes out, anyway.

yes you call up MS and they offer you a coupon that will give you a certian percentage off the price but the OP was wanting to know if MS will give your a FREE copy of windows 7 cause you have Vista

if i were in a business working with so many special apps and old hardware i would be negative of Vista too but I sense i built a new PC i was able to put Vista on it and the only issue i have is that Nvidia didn't make a new driver to enable the video out option on my GPU not MS fault Nvidia's fault. If you trying to install it on your XP PC you had sense 2001 no wonder Vista doesn't work on your computer. too much of a gap between windows versions

100% true

ADOBE is to blame here, they claim to be working on it.

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=6b3af6c9&sliceId=1

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
All jokes aside, that's why paying for 64 is not necessarily a wise decision.

Yeah yeah, I know that 64 is the near future. ;)

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Windows 7 64 is fine. I did loose my ethernet connection at the board level by running my XP.

What's that all about?

Can't anyone give me the answer?

I thought not. :lol:

I'd like to live on your planet of optimism. Send me the coordinates.

Status
Not open for further replies.