[SOLVED] Will windows still boot? (New components)

May 16, 2020
Hello everyone, hope you're all well!

So I've bought new motherboard, CPU graphics card and RAM.

Would windows 10 still boot correctly? Or should I opt for a new OS install first thing? I just wanted to recover a few files before wiping old OS.

Should I just buy a new hard drive? It's a Samsung hd322gj - 7200 rpm/26/320gb

Regards,

Mick.

Solution
Thanks for the info retusaf, however I keep important files backed up and on a laptop and a external hd drive and I wouldn't know what a macrium reflect, NAS box or a Linux variant is without really looking into it lol,
I'm not that savvy.

The external drive has a legitimate downloaded version of win 10 setup from Microsoft which is bootable so hopefully all is well. It's been awhile since I've looked into modern computing I'm not that updated on what's out there but I really appreciate the assistance I've received on this forum.
OK then...that should be able to boot up and install the Win 10.

But no matter how you do your backup thing...that is a second or third copy of anything you don't want to lose.
Your personal data...

RealBeast

Titan

Would windows 10 still boot correctly? Or should I opt for a new OS install first thing? I just wanted to recover a few files before wiping old OS.

Regards,

Mick.
Definitely, do a clean W10 re-installation since all the drivers differ. So back up everything of value first using the old parts or by attaching the drive to another computer as the non-OS drive.

Reactions: Mick19

USAFRet

Titan

Regards,

Mick.
All new parts...From what to what?

With a new motherboard, a fresh install is strongly recommended, often required.

May 16, 2020
Thanks for replying guys,

Well the old mobo was broken or corrupted and didn't even start bios, so I opted for a new setup pretty much.

Just wondered if I could obtain a few files prior to wiping the old OS. Nothing too important though I'll just wipe it by booting windows from the external harddrive I have.

May 16, 2020
You can't boot from that, unless it was built that way initially.

But...dead motherboard and wanting to "save files" is specifically what backups are for.
If my system were to melt into a pile of goo right now...the only files that might be vulnerable are those created in the last few hours.

Previously I installed windows 10 from an external hd which was detected via the bios of my previous mobo would it not work this time around?

I'm not too knowledgeable of backups etc I wouldn't know how to do it? I just saved important info to my external harddrive in case of any problems such as what I encountered recently. I just wouldn't be able to obtain any recent stuff on there without accessing the OS I wouldn't know any other way of doing it.

USAFRet

Titan
Previously I installed windows 10 from an external hd which was detected via the bios of my previous mobo would it not work this time around?

I'm not too knowledgeable of backups etc I wouldn't know how to do it? I just saved important info to my external harddrive in case of any problems such as what I encountered recently. I just wouldn't be able to obtain any recent stuff on there without accessing the OS I wouldn't know any other way of doing it.
Installing Windows is completely different that what might be "installed" on that external. You're the only one who knows what it is.
A Win 10 install is totally different than an installed Windows OS.

For backups, look at this for a long term solution:

May 16, 2020
Installing Windows is completely different that what might be "installed" on that external. You're the only one who knows what it is.
A Win 10 install is totally different than an installed Windows OS.

For backups, look at this for a long term solution:

Thanks for the info retusaf, however I keep important files backed up and on a laptop and a external hd drive and I wouldn't know what a macrium reflect, NAS box or a Linux variant is without really looking into it lol,
I'm not that savvy.

The external drive has a legitimate downloaded version of win 10 setup from Microsoft which is bootable so hopefully all is well. It's been awhile since I've looked into modern computing I'm not that updated on what's out there but I really appreciate the assistance I've received on this forum.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm not that savvy.

But no matter how you do your backup thing...that is a second or third copy of anything you don't want to lose.
Your personal data should never be hostage to hardware, especially a storage drive.

Reactions: Mick19
Solution
May 16, 2020

Your personal data should never be hostage to hardware, especially a storage drive.

Agreed! And thanks!

TRENDING THREADS