[SOLVED] Will wrapping heatpipes in conductive foil or flue tape improve temps?

Calvin_19

Commendable
Jan 3, 2017
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ACyZjo6DCBuPcrMA8
I am thinking of other ways to improve my GE60 2QD Apache's heat dissipation. I plan to retrofit upgrade my heatsink with 3 more heatpipes and heat fins with thermal adhesive as well as applying better thermal paste, and i was wondering if the aforementioned will improve temps further. And which is better, conductive copper foil tape vs conductive aluminium flue tape? I read somewhere that flue tape wrap on heatsinks work better as they fill in the airgaps between the heatpipes thus providing better thermal dissipation.

Solution
Probably not, for the most part conducting heat isnt the problem with a system like this, its dissipating it.
Adding in more conductive materials will just slightly increase the thermal capacity of the cooling system, essentially give it a bit more time before its fully saturated. Its still likely going to even out at the same temperature as the fan struggles to keep up with the heat being delivered to it.

Your dissipation system is still the same regardless of your ability to transfer heat to it.

On a side note, thermal paste is only meant to fill in imperfections in the contact surface, too much of it acts as an insulating material compared to the copper heatpipes.
Probably not, for the most part conducting heat isnt the problem with a system like this, its dissipating it.
Adding in more conductive materials will just slightly increase the thermal capacity of the cooling system, essentially give it a bit more time before its fully saturated. Its still likely going to even out at the same temperature as the fan struggles to keep up with the heat being delivered to it.

Your dissipation system is still the same regardless of your ability to transfer heat to it.

On a side note, thermal paste is only meant to fill in imperfections in the contact surface, too much of it acts as an insulating material compared to the copper heatpipes.

Solution