[SOLVED] Will XMP Work if Ram Not on Gigabyte Approved Vendor List?

Christian2000

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2014
I'm looking at some Team Group 3600 ram for my X470 Gaming 7 wifi, which is recommended for Ryzen by Team but not on Gigabyte's AVL, which leaves me wondering whether XMP will still be recognised?

Solution
QVL's are a way of saying that the ram in their list was used for testing in the motherboard manufacturer's lab prior to launch, meaning they will work out of the box. This doesn't mean that other ram kits won't work. If all kits were to be included in a QVL, then the board wouldn't see the light of day with regards to a release. If you will, so long as your motherboard supports the speeds and the processor you're working with can handle the rams, then yes they will work.

Also, in most cases, you should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard prior to enabling X.M.P.

Mind sharing what processor you're working with? A link to the ram kit you're looking at purchasing?

Lutfij

Titan
QVL's are a way of saying that the ram in their list was used for testing in the motherboard manufacturer's lab prior to launch, meaning they will work out of the box. This doesn't mean that other ram kits won't work. If all kits were to be included in a QVL, then the board wouldn't see the light of day with regards to a release. If you will, so long as your motherboard supports the speeds and the processor you're working with can handle the rams, then yes they will work.

Also, in most cases, you should make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard prior to enabling X.M.P.

Mind sharing what processor you're working with? A link to the ram kit you're looking at purchasing?

Last edited:
Solution
I think your asking for trouble with 3600Mhz on a 2700X. I wouldn't go above 3200Mhz. With that being said you can get the ram and manually configure it to run at a lower speed. If that was the case I would simply punch in the timings of the manufacturers 3200Mhz kit.

As for whether or not the Team Group stuff will work fine, I couldn't honestly say. I haven't had an issue with Corsair Vengeance on Ryzen and it's usually on the QVL list. An alternative would be:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VE...vengeance+32GB+ddr4+ram&qid=1638538920&sr=8-4

Ok didn't read the bit about the upgrade, 3600Mhz should be fine on a 5900X. Above advice still stands, I think you'll have to run at a lower speed for now barring any instability issues. Prices such as they are, it kind of makes sense to get 3600Mhz.

Note if you ever wanted 64GB for that 5900X, it makes sense to buy a 64GB kit now rather than add another later. 3600Mhz on 4 dim's can also be problematic.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS