Discussion Will you be going/switching to Ryzen Gen 3?

I'm curious what do you guys think about the "leaked processor specs" and if they were true would you be upgrading to it and if so which "leaked processor"? I am putting quotations as nothing is confirmed as of yet

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
My plan at this point is to wait until the end of this year and see what appeals to me as far as the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's are concerned.
I enjoy OCing so I'm thinking about replacing my Ryzen 5 2600 with a 65W TDP Ryzen 3000 and OCing it to see if it can equal its higher TDP counterpart.

My plan at this point is to wait until the end of this year and see what appeals to me as far as the Ryzen 3000 series CPU's are concerned.
I enjoy OCing so I'm thinking about replacing my Ryzen 5 2600 with a 65W TDP Ryzen 3000 and OCing it to see if it can equal its higher TDP counterpart.
That makes sense I am trying to keep a close eye on the news esp. when computex begins right now I am possibly looking at a 3600x because if those are the confirmed specs at computex that's a pretty big jump in performance for not much more expensive then the 2700

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
^ I definitely get your point concerning the 3600x.
If I didn't enjoy OCing I would definitely be looking at the x versions.
But for me a 3600 that I can OC to see if I can match the 3600x for performance is more attractive.
I actually can afford to buy higher performing CPU's but for me that takes all the fun out of it.

^ I definitely get your point concerning the 3600x.
If I didn't enjoy OCing I would definitely be looking at the x versions.
But for me a 3600 that I can OC to see if I can match the 3600x for performance is more attractive.
I actually can afford to buy higher performing CPU's but for me that takes all the fun out of it.
Definitely get what you mean but since I am super new to all this I don't want to just jump into overclocking and then fry my system I want to slowly research overclocking with my chosen CPU so I don't have to cough up more money if something goes wrong and so if I don't feel overclocking is worth the performance gain I can just stick with stock GHz and not feel like I wasted my money

Reactions: DMAN999

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Not a 2nd gen Ryzen owner, but I did just sell my 1st gen Ryzen 5-1600X system. My plan was to use the money to buy a new 3rd gen Ryzen if they ever get here. Not sure if I would go beyond the 3600/3600X or not. There's not much I do that requires more than 12 threads, if that.
I even bought a RTX 2070 to go with it. It's living in my i5-9700K system at the moment.

Leaked specs mean nothing until we see retail processor benchmarked, until then nothing needs be said.
Computex isn't far and yes I get rumors are rumors leaks are just leaks nothing confirmed but I think it's nice to see what others think and I did acknowledge that it isn't confirmed just wanted to strike some conversation :)
Not a 2nd gen Ryzen owner, but I did just sell my 1st gen Ryzen 5-1600X system. My plan was to use the money to buy a new 3rd gen Ryzen if they ever get here. Not sure if I would go beyond the 3600/3600X or not. There's not much I do that requires more than 12 threads, if that.
I even bought a RTX 2070 to go with it. It's living in my i5-9700K system at the moment.
I am just getting into this kind of stuff so no worries I just wanted to see the route others would be taking if the rumors are true about the specs which we will hopefully find out most of this juicy info at computex :)

Also not a current gen owner, but am eagerly awaiting actual specs to see if it's finally time to replace the 6600k. Right now I don't think the performance of a 2600/2600x is worth it. Will be looking at the 3600/3600x, depending on overclockabilty to which one to grab.

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
I'm not a 2nd gen Ryzen owner either. I've been Intel only for over a decade but may go back to AMD for my next major upgrade some time next year. I used to be AMD only until the Intel C2Ds arrived and lured me away with their massive overclockability on reasonably cheap motherboards and haven't felt the urge to go back since, until now.

If the 3rd gen Ryzens can outpace my current i5-6600K @4.5GHz within my budget and by enough to make it worth the upgrade, I'm coming back.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
Also not a current gen owner, but am eagerly awaiting actual specs to see if it's finally time to replace the 6600k. Right now I don't think the performance of a 2600/2600x is worth it. Will be looking at the 3600/3600x, depending on overclockabilty to which one to grab.
I feel you on the choice between 3600/3600x but atm I have a very low grade gaming laptop with a 8th gen i5 Integrated GPU 12 GB Memory and 1TB HDD
I'm not a 2nd gen Ryzen owner either. I've been Intel only for over a decade but may go back to AMD for my next major upgrade some time next year. I used to be AMD only until the Intel C2Ds arrived and lured me away with their massive overclockability on reasonably cheap motherboards and haven't felt the urge to go back since, until now.

If the 3rd gen Ryzens can outpace my current i5-6600K @4.5GHz by enough to make it worth the upgrade, I'm coming back.
That's understandable I was very with Intel and against AMD until recently because my parents got told by a retailer that Intel is best for gaming and that AMD could never top that (which is technically true) but since I plan to do a lot more then just game like video editing streaming I think AMD is the best choice for me even if it costs a few frames but I don't totally hate Intel tho I do now see why alot of builds on YT have a ryzen processor because they have a better performance per dollar from what I've learned

If the 3rd gen Ryzens can outpace my current i5-6600K @4.5GHz within my budget and by enough to make it worth the upgrade, I'm coming back.
This, 100% this!!! My 6600k is still kicking some booty, but feel something faster would better compliment my 2080. And a mobo/cpu for less than the cost of a 9700k sounds pretty great. Already have 3000mhz ram, so it'll be a fairly affordable upgrade if the leaks hold any truth.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I've been running a 9900k in my personal rig for a while. I'm confident Zen 2 will be good enough if not much better for my needs. I actually think the odds are good that the mid-range Ryzen CPU's will beat the 9900k even in gaming. I'm actually making that bet and I've already listed my 9900k setup for sale. I build and sell a couple PC's a month so this Isn't as big of a deal to me as it might be for some. I got such a smoking deal on the 9900k rig I think I can make some money on it anyway.

I kept my Asus Crosshair 6 hero after moving on from the 2700x I was using before the 9900k in anticipation of Zen 2. I plan to put the best compatible zen 2 chip in the CH6. I'm hoping the 12 and 16 cores will be there at launch and compatible with the older boards. The CH6 hero should be able to handle them. I'm worried they'll say x570 only for the 12 and 16 core parts though. I'd really like to see how divinci resolve runs with a 16 core and my Radeon VII. I'd also really like to not have to spend $250 on a new mobo.

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
Yep, Gmoney. I'm all set in terms of the rest of the system too. Just CPU, HSF and motherboard required for an upgrade to what should be even more of a monster that what I have already.

I've always been manufacturer agnostic and happy to jump ships whenever the opposition offer me better bang per buck.

I'm a very early Ryzen adopter, started with 1600x and Asus prime x370 pro with 3200MHz RAM. Switched to 1700x for which I got a super deal (actually just because of that) and even made few bucks by doing it.
That worked well albeit with some memory tweaking to run at full speed. Switched to 2700x as soon as it was available but memory was still questionable because I go 3600MHz RAM in mean time. Only after switching to my present MB and with latest BIOS all clicked in place and now it's at it's peak. Prior to building this system I had (and still have) FX 8350 system running at 4.8GHz and was amazed that even R5 1600x was beating it 3.1 in performance while at defaults. Looking back at that experience, I'm still undecided between 3600x and 3700x depending on which one can hit closer to or 5GHz. If 3600x could hit 5GHz it would be my favorite because of price with 3700x as second choice if it would play nicely with my present MB. Not planning on x570 chipset unless I decide to go for even faster RAM with at least 4000MHz.
As you can see by GPU, I'm not much of a gamer but still like to have as good system as I can really afford. I like X models better because of being able to achieve everyday's performance and still OC if and when I want to. Present best OC is very stable 4.3GHz + 3600MHz RAM. Best managed OC is 4.35GHz but stable enough only for benchmarking and that ain't good enough for me. Stability over pure OC.
Other deciding factor between 3600x (as minimum) and 3700x (as maximum) would be need to upgrade cooling from CM Nepton 140XL which is doing great job right now, never letting temps go close to or to 70c.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Interesting thread; I too am waiting with bated breath for specs, benchmarks, etc to be posted. I have been nursing a 7 year old i7-3770 system for a while waiting for the right time to upgrade.

Perhaps that time is upon us.....my uses include general, Lightroom and some occasional gaming. Over the past few months I have upgraded GPU (1070 ti overclocked), PSU (Focus Plus 650 Gold), case (FD R6).

I haven't decided on 3700X or 3600X...really depends on testing results.....I sort of like the 3700X better, but not sure if I need all those cores and threads, but 5GHz turbo sounds good to me. : )

Interesting thread; I too am waiting with bated breath for specs, benchmarks, etc to be posted. I have been nursing a 7 year old i7-3770 system for a while waiting for the right time to upgrade.

Perhaps that time is upon us.....my uses include general, Lightroom and some occasional gaming. Over the past few months I have upgraded GPU (1070 ti overclocked), PSU (Focus Plus 650 Gold), case (FD R6).

I haven't decided on 3700X or 3600X...really depends on testing results.....I sort of like the 3700X better, but not sure if I need all those cores and threads, but 5GHz turbo sounds good to me. : )
I get you I got a pretty meh very entry gaming laptop with no GPU gonna be going with 2700(non x) or 3600x depending on specs as 3600x is a pretty big jump from the 2700(non x) with the higher base clock and having alot of overclocking room

Early-adoption has never worked well for me. The processor series will be flaky for a while, MB support will be immature; and any successive changes on either end will make the situation worse for at least the first 8 months.

I'll let everyone else find the bugs, and wait until there is what I consider to be a stable release on both sides of the implementation.

I'm really looking forward to the release. I've owned a couple of AMD processors before such as the Athlon 1.33ghz and a Phenom II 940 and was really happy with both. At that time competing Intel chips were either comparable or below the AMD offering.

I expect this current generation to be similar given the performance of even the 2600 and 2700 series. I'm not going crazy, just a 570mobo with 16gbs DDR4 3200mhz. I'm pairing it with a Vega 56 so I'll have a fairly balanced system.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ain't it great to have AMD back in the CPU game?! I'm so old, I remember the single core CPU days when AMD owned Intel at games. Intel took over with the advent of the dual core and never looked back, got lazy, and now has competition again. We all win when they both have competition.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
What is equally interesting is how much the value proposition varies depending upon the individual. There are some who want max performance no matter the cost (which in some ways is easier), and at the other end the person who only wants the minimum to accomplish the task.

Then there are the rest of us who are in the space where value is important, but so is performance. Where to make compromises? That is where forums like Tom's is so important....you don't necessarily need to become an expert to have a high confidence the purchases and compromises you make are pretty close to the 'right' ones.

Which is why I personally can't wait for some of the benchmarks to be published and how PCI 4.0, RAM speed, etc, etc factors in.