Discussion Will you be going/switching to Ryzen Gen 3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I'm curious what do you guys think about the "leaked processor specs" and if they were true would you be upgrading to it and if so which "leaked processor"? I am putting quotations as nothing is confirmed as of yet

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm looking at this to replace my i5-4690k system. it is finally starting to show it's age in some of what i use it for. i could use the extra threads and the better ipc won't hurt at all either.

If the 8/16 thread specs are right, i'd likely go for that one. however, 6/12 for a lot less would still be a big upgrade to the 4 cores i have now and may get picked instead. but won't know for sure until they are actually in the wild and we can see what the specs are and how they perform.

with intel hurting to get their new stuff to market and all the performance hits due to vulnerabilities, plus throw in how overpriced the full platform is for overclocking and i don't see another intel in my immediate future.

i'm looking at this to replace my i5-4690k system. it is finally starting to show it's age in some of what i use it for. i could use the extra threads and the better ipc won't hurt at all either.

If the 8/16 thread specs are right, i'd likely go for that one. however, 6/12 for a lot less would still be a big upgrade to the 4 cores i have now and may get picked instead. but won't know for sure until they are actually in the wild and we can see what the specs are and how they perform.

with intel hurting to get their new stuff to market and all the performance hits due to vulnerabilities, plus throw in how overpriced the full platform is for overclocking and i don't see another intel in my immediate future.
I was gonna go Intel bc I thought AMD was horrible at gaming then I realized why all budget builds on YT have a Ryzen now I am getting a 2600 OR 3600x (if the specs are real) and it's sad for a top of the line intel cpu: $480+ AMD: 280+

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
there are a lot of uninformed people out there still claiming intel will wipe the floor with anything amd has. it's just not true. ryzen 2 all but caught intel in ipc and ryzen 3 should finish them off for now. even if they don't beat them outright, 99% of the performance for 75% of the platform cost is a no brainer. well unless you have no brain :)

many folks will still pay the premium for that last 2% of performance but i guess if that makes em feel better about themselves, then so be it.

Reactions: AngelTech
there are a lot of uninformed people out there still claiming intel will wipe the floor with anything amd has.
Well, from either side of the equation, that kind of statement is just fanboyism.

Companies rise and fall, and different technological advances and advantages--or just sheer determination--keeps technological competitors racing each other. If AMD takes the crown this year, intel will score a win later, and life will go on, as AMD positions itself for another win.

For me, it's just a matter of using what I'm familiar with, and have an intuitive grasp of the idiosyncrasies and nuances of. That's AMD, and I just work better with that product.

Who knows? Maybe Best Foods will break into the tech sector and give a company some much needed competitive threat.

Reactions: rigg42

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
some is fanboy, but a lot of it i see is people getting info from fanboys. they try to be informed but picked the wrong source for info. i don't really blame those folks since they tried. usually a couple benchmarks will show them the truth and they'll change their view.

a true fanboy will stay strong no matter how many benchmarks and proof you provide. literally nothing will convince them of the facts. reality just does not exist for these true fanboys. :)

i'm a bang for the buck guy. this is why i went with AMD for many years. i only built the 4690k system because at the time AMD had nothing to compete so i went with what was worth the price. now that AMD is back and competing again, even if they are not 5% better, they once again represent the bang for the buck purchase i live for. unless intel decides to cut their prices in half, i don't see them getting my money this time around. maybe in the future who knows, but for now it looks like AMD is the way for me at this time.

i do wish it would hurry up though. i really want new and shiny on my desk again :)

Reactions: DMAN999