Will you go back to Intel?

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
We all know that the AMD having the fastest processor will come to an end soon. Intel will have the speed lead for a little bit. Will this affect what CPU you buy?

I know I don't care who is faster just that I can get this fast of a machine without breaking the bank.

Unless AMD really screws up (put out crap processor or charge to much money for them) My next processor will be an AMD...maybe a BARTON.

96.3 % of Statistics are made up.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It all depends on value. If they can offer at least what AMD does in overall price/performance, I will.

But I will not spend hundreds of dollars more for a cpu that gives me percentage points of improvement. At the speeds of computers today, it would have to be at least a 50% speed increase over AMD. Even then, I am not sure that I want to pay hundreds more. For now, AMD is fast enough.

I need to wait for the following:

1. The release of the Northwood.
2. Pricing structure of Northwood.
3. The release of nForce.

Don't forget, the Palomino coupled with the nForce chipset might offer system price/performance that simply cannot be matched by Intel. We need to wait for nForce as well, to see if the chipset is all it is made out to be.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I only thought of this because I have always used Intels and a year ago made the switch...and I wonder how many people will go back to Intel. I don't have any plans of yet. I can't wait to see the new offerings from both sides.

From the little I have seen of the nForce (every article I could read) I can't wait to get my hands on one.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
I'm currently using a 1.33AMD@1.55

I will use for my next upgrade whatever makes for the fastest and most socially acceptable PC (i.e. not a custom rackmount/twin tower/jet engine).

If this is a 3Ghz Northwood, 2.5Ghz Athlon4 or a dual of either - or a quad Cyrix 4Ghz if it exists, is stable and faster than the others.

I am not really cash limited, so I will just get whatever the best toy is as the time. When I bought, AMD was. Right now P4@1.7 and the 1.4AMD are stacking up pretty evenly. In 6 months or whatever it is - we'll see, but I am certainly not adverse to any architecture (except maybe MAC) as long as it does the job the fastest. My previous PC is/was Intel (now running 1.036Ghz) so I have no problems with either.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

I'll go with whoever has the best bang for the buck for the type of stuff I do.

why would anyone do otherwise?

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I used to use Intel only. No more. Currently, I have two AMD machines -- Duron at home and Athlon at work. In the future, I'll do my research and go with whatever make sense for me, AMD or Intel or ??? Lemming is such a sad creature...

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Intel releasing a SDRAM northwood chipset (i845). Via having a SMP northwood Chipset(PX266). ALi, SiS, ATi, Serverworks having Northwood chipsets. Well im guessing Northwood is going to kick some serious A$$.

Even Intel hate RDRAM. Go team QDR-SDRAM !!!

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
If AMD and Intel have fairly comparable processors, I'm going to stick with AMD. The only way I'd go back to Intel is if AMD falls way behind in performance over the next couple of years. I don't need to upgrade right away, so it will be interesting to see what happens with Northwood, nForce, RDRAM, DDR, and Athlon during that time. My hope is that I'll be able to buy another AMD processor in two years without feeling like I'm giving up anything.

This is not a signature.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Northwood and i845 are a couple of steps in the right direction indeed. However, IMHO, dissing VIA and nVidia is not a smart move -- see
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5092299,00.html
Has Intel ever heard of the strategy of working with one's secondary rivals to knock off one's chief rival (then taking care of the secondary rivals later)??

In any event, given Intel's recent track record, I'll wait and see exactly what happens when Northwood comes out and compare it to whatever the newest AMD offering before I pass any judgment.

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Oops, sorry. I meant to reply to rcf84.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well VIA is making processors on the Intel Platform. After some VIA will make a fast processor on the Socket 478 attacking Northwood. Also Intel doesn't need nvidia. They have an ATi chipset(i810 for northwood) coming with Rage 128pro graphics and an UMA 128bit DDR/SDR support.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
VIA is no treat to Intel in terms of CPUs. It makes cheap but lower-performance chipsets, and it's also established. Having it around can help push P4/Northwood into the mainstream market.

As for Nvidia, it appears to be an aggressive, highly competent company. Why push it into your enemy's corner while you having a hard time fending off your enemy? After all, no matter how Intel tries to spin it, Intel is losing market share to AMD.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Switch back to Intel? The real question is if I will ever switch back to AMD! I had to work my way UP to Intel. The only way I'll switch back to AMD is if someone releases a truely great chipset for them. nVidia and SiS are really trying hard, we'll see what the fruits of their labor are this fall!
You know, I used to hate Intel because of the way they pushed their cutomers around, forcing outrageous prices, slow speed upgrades, etc. So my first high-end systems were all AMD. I just go t fed up with VIA and issues I had with configuring VIA eqiped systems. The more cards you add, the worse it gets. And all my systems are full, so it got pretty bad with them.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
Crashman,

Sorry for not asking a questions towards the Intel owner...

How many of you guys thinking maybe intel maybe amd?

Sorry to hear that you have had problems with VIA...We have talked once about this...I am the one that is always having troubles with the i815 boards.

I hope the nforce is everything and more...same goes with Northwood.

I like the way nvidia is going to do the drivers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I REALLY like the T-bird. But I own a PIII 700@933, simply becuase of the stability my BX platform offers. My wife has my CUSL2 now, which is a faster platform, but is equiped with a much slower Celeron 566@901. That platform was also very stable for me. The only reason she got it is because she needed a Desktop case, and my platform has integrated SB Live Platinum 5.1 with the extra features built into a TOWER case. So she also has my Vortex2 card, which is OK, because it's superior sound quality comes in handy for the home theater her computer is connected to.
Both platforms are far superior to ALL the AMD/VIA systems I have owned or worked on. Too bad the T-Bid won't work on an Intel chipset. But we will soon see what SiS and nVidia have to offer in their new chipsets.

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I think (hope) the asus nforce will have a raid controller.
I read an article at the register that said it would have a GF2 GTS vid card. Was that a misprint?
It still support an agp4x slot so who cares.

priit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I probably stay with "alternative" platform: I haven't really ever owned a system with Intel CPU/chipset (even thougt I have troubleshooted many and build some) and I don't miss them at all. Unless Intel will make some kick-ass hardware cheaper (e.g. with better price/performance ratio) than offerings from AMD and others, I see no reasons start using it... so far I have used VIA-based mobos without problems...

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
I would happily go back to Intel if they offered a solution with better performance and price than AMD. After all, when the K6-II's and III's were out, I was still buying the PII and PIII, just for the performance. Now I use AMD systems, and very happily as well.

Brand loyalty = stupidity

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As so many venders point out, the MX is a "version" of the GTS. What they fail to point out is that it is a cut down version! The integrated graphics in the nVidia chipset should surpass the current MX do to increase memory bandwith and a faster internal interface. It may even match the current GTS, but it's too early to tell.

327goat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
I'll definitely go back if Intel gets their act together and cleans up some of the loose ends. I think they got a little sloppy over the last year or so, after AMD took the performance crown away. The latest stuff they've put out has been too rushed, but if this blow serves as a wake up call, and they get their ball rolling agian, and put out a better product at a competive price, I will be buying an Intel system again. Waiting for some Northwood and nForce benchmarks is like a kid waiting for christmas. We know it's comming, and we have a good idea when, but we just have to wait patiently. Too bad there's no real way to go looking through hiding places for presents.

<font color=red> To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to steal ideas from many is research.</font color=red>

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I've built several Intel and more than a half dozen AMD.

But I can only go back to INTEL under these conditions:
1) When Intel chipsets use sdram or DDR.
2) I will only buy an intel M/B if I can adjust the FSB.
3) When INTEL finally makes a CPU that doesn't have to be 25% fatser to keep up with a comparable AMD.
4) When INTEL charges no more than $20 more for a comparably rated AMD component.

If INTEL CAN get these things through there stupid heads,
Then YES, I will go back to INTEL.

BTW: If NForce is stable and fast and Palomino holds it's
price performance against INTEL AT 25% higher clcok speeds
then INTEL is going to have to wait a good deal longer to try and win me back.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 06/11/01 11:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
1) When Intel chipsets use sdram or DDR.
why? price, or technical. Would you use RD-RAM if it was the same price as DDR and better performing?

2) I will only buy an intel M/B if I can adjust the FSB.
what about non-Intel boards?

Pete.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details