Will you go back to Intel?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I don't have anything really technical against RDRAM, In fact it may become the future for all I know. But I've heard that it's harder to get good samples of RDRAM in the fabrication process and thus it's always going to be more expensive. And then there's that latency thing. But yeah, it's the price/performance thing again. When I said I only wanted a chipset that uses SD/DDR, I was referring to things as they stand right now. Next year there may be some new type of RAM.

And I could buy a non-INTEL/board for Pentium....But since the question was, what would it take for intel to get me back, I considered tha to mean possibly buying an INTEL board as well.

I put an INTEL BX440SE in with my old PII400 and it's the most stable system I own....and the most boring, because there isn't a damn thing I can tweak on it , lol

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 06/11/01 06:22 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

"and the most boring, because there isn't a damn thing I can tweak on it"

Funny that you mention this.. had the same with my old Dell P3-500. It was fast enough, it was stable, but it was no fun. Had a great time upgrading the dell pc to a duron, and overclocking it.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

G

"We all know that the AMD having the fastest processor will come to an end soon. "

I dont know this.. do you ?

"Will this affect what CPU you buy?"

No. I mean, I rarely buy the fastest hardware out there.. usually dont need it, especially not the fastest CPU's. The only apps that I currently use, that require some cpu horsepower, are games. We all know GPUs are much more important than cpu's when it comes to games, so that is where I will be investing in (GF3). I might upgrade my current Duron 600@933 to pali 1.3-1.5 this fall, but after that, I dont think I'll require a cpu upgrade for a very long time. No matter how well northwood or barton or whatever will perform.. I just dont think I'll need it, so I wont buy it until I have to.

When time comes, I'll simply buy whatever suits my needs, regardless of brand. Not necesarely the fastest performer, but a fast enough performer.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD is finally getting some decent chipsets. still will not sell or use one.

So you have I845, northwood, RDRAM @ 1066, SSE2, and much more rolling out next month.

Best place to watch the real show would be at www.madonion.com where people will be posting 9k+ scores in 2001 bench. Geforce3 has more benchmarks to run compared for Geforce2 (alien, man fishing, nature), I need to de-select those and run again.

Maybe Rayston can give us a update on the Samsung 2Ghz RDRAM samples.

4 way Itanium servers are ready, now were looking at "Numaflex"ing them beyond reality(512 processors+) with a 10Gig crossbar switch. no NDA on wtf we do with NUMA.

Did I mention that AMD's Hammer will be based upon NUMA 1.0? rated at 1.6Gig per sec. Even tho this is superior to EV6 is still blows goats compared to 716Gig per sec BUS on our current products. Bummer Intel will get superior bus while AMD has already started fitting NUMA.

Not sure what AMD was thinking, but a few days after announcing the purchase of cross license of NUMA, it was all removed upon discovering the design limitations imposed upon the license.

While Im playing on my 2Ghz Northwood you will be deciding on the chipset in your next rig knowing the last time you made that decision it was the wrong one (All AMD chipsets suck currently or at least thats whats the blame for the incompatabilities and instabilities).

Thermal protection, sure its on the new chips and its not on yours. makes you feel so much better huh? gonna upgrade soon? good thing you waited on buying, now you just gotta wait a little longer for a chipset to reach the market.

Sure the price is jacked paying more the the "MP" version at a slower speed. but your used to being jacked but the higher price might force your head to explode.

G

"Best place to watch the real show would be at www.madonion.com where people will be posting 9k+ scores in 2001 bench"

So ? I dont care if there are people that score 20.000. As long as *my* games run smooth at 1024x768x32 full detail, Im happy. I dont upgrade to boast about my benchmarks.

"While Im playing on my 2Ghz Northwood you will be deciding on the chipset in your next rig knowing the last time you made that decision it was the wrong one"

Come again ? It wasnt wrong by a long shot. I couldnt be more happy with my current setup. As I was with my P3 some years ago. You play with whatever you like.. I dont care if its a 4 Ghz Northwood. If I'd require one, I'd buy one. But unlike you, I will be able to upgrade my current setup from a lowly 600 to a 1.5+ Ghz by just swapping the cpu.

"Thermal protection, sure its on the new chips and its not on yours. "

No.. but my motherboard supports it, so I dont care.. dont care anyway about thermal protection. My cpu costed me less than $30. Performs like a $300 intel cpu (pentium3 850, prices of 4 months ago here).

"gonna upgrade soon? good thing you waited on buying, now you just gotta wait a little longer for a chipset to reach the market. "

Not sure what your point is. Im not waiting for any chip, Im waiting for a need to upgrade. Dont have this right now, so I wont upgrade for now. When that changes, I'll simply see whats on the market, and buy whatever suits my needs. That wont be a 2 Ghz Northwood, nor a Barton.

"Sure the price is jacked paying more the the "MP" version at a slower speed."

So ? Dont buy an MP then. At least any amd cpu will do SMP if you want to. Or how does a P4 Xeon differ from a regular P4, other than the price ?

"but your used to being jacked but the higher price might force your head to explode."

Get a life.