Will you lose drivers when upgrading to Win 7 from Windows XP?

jbobman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hi, I want to upgrade my computer to windows 7 (or Windows 8 in a few months) from Windows XP, but I was wondering if this would cause me to lose all of my drivers. As long as I backed up all my programs, would my drivers stay intact or would I have to re download them? Thanks!

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006

Do not bother with Windows 8 - it is designed for touch screen interfaces so pretty much pointless for a desktop.

Ditto

You will only be able to run programs compatible with Win7. Some are not. Check the publisher's websites for info. Also some hardware, most notably older printers, are not supported under Win7. The manufacturers want you to buy a new one with the new chipped ink-tanks. There are some workarounds for older printers but you tend to lose driver functionality at best as they rely on the native windows drivers.

Q

jbobman

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
You will only be able to run programs compatible with Win7. Some are not. Check the publisher's websites for info. Also some hardware, most notably older printers, are not supported under Win7. The manufacturers want you to buy a new one with the new chipped ink-tanks. There are some workarounds for older printers but you tend to lose driver functionality at best as they rely on the native windows drivers.

Q[/quotemsg]

So, for example, Starcraft 2, a game, is compatible with windows xp, vista, and 7. If I back up the files on an external hard drive, would I have to re download them once I do a complete Windows 7 install?

Traildriver

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Suggest you go to the MS website:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20

and check you PC with it. This compatability test will test everything with oyur system and let you know where you will have problems.

As mentioned above, everything will have to be reinstalled in order to run under the new OS, and that is only if the program is compatable with Win 7 to begin with. You might even have problems reloading some of your "game saves" etc.

As another alternative, why not make a dual boot system. Remove the old hard drive and Install a new blank hard drive. Install Win 7 to it. Reattach the XP drive and set up the PC for dual booting option. This will allow you to keep the software that is not compatable with Win 7 in the XP system.

TRENDING THREADS