Williams Defender Power Supply - To rebuild or not to rebu..

Should I rebuild a Williams Defender Power Supply or should I use a
switcher? Power supply still works. Are the williams power supplies
very reliable if rebuilt?

John

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I would just rebuild it. they have always been reliable for me.
especially a defender's.

The ones I have had trouble with are a robotrons, they need a switcher.

Troy,

Baraka <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Should I rebuild a Williams Defender Power Supply or should I use a
> switcher? Power supply still works. Are the williams power supplies
> very reliable if rebuilt?
>
> John

I've got two defenders that I needed to replace the power supply on and
went with the the kit from arcade shop. I've been very happy with it
and really like that all I had to do was just plug in the the existing
harness (www.arcadeshop.com/pics/wms-ps.jpg). I left the original
power supply since it still powers some things on the coin door. I
found you still need to run a ground from the new power supply or else
the coin door and control panel will not work.

Troy <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:
: I would just rebuild it. they have always been reliable for me.
: especially a defender's.
:
: The ones I have had trouble with are a robotrons, they need a switcher.

What?

If anything the robos are more reliable since the heat sink for the
transistors is bigger and isolated from the rest of the power supply.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

I've always had problems with the +5 volts on the ones i've had.
They don't put out enough, so the game keeps resetting.
After a switcher is installed, no problems.

Troy,

Troy <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:
: I've always had problems with the +5 volts on the ones i've had.
: They don't put out enough, so the game keeps resetting.
: After a switcher is installed, no problems.

IIRC, the PS is good for 10A... if the voltage is low, you just need
to tweak the ua723 reference...
--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

> IIRC, the PS is good for 10A... if the voltage is low, you just need
> to tweak the ua723 reference...

What did you mean Tweak?
adjust the pot? didn't help with mine.
I don't own my robo anymore so I can't go look at it.

Troy,

Troy <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:
:> IIRC, the PS is good for 10A... if the voltage is low, you just need
:> to tweak the ua723 reference...
:
: What did you mean Tweak?
: adjust the pot? didn't help with mine.
: I don't own my robo anymore so I can't go look at it.

There is no pot... unless you put one on :)

--

Baraka wrote:
> Should I rebuild a Williams Defender Power Supply or should I use a
> switcher? Power supply still works. Are the williams power supplies
> very reliable if rebuilt?
>
> John

A good working linear (original) will outlast a switcher 2-3 times or more.

Rebuild.