WIMAX help for online gaming

DavidRider

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017
I hope you can help. I have a similar set up to the guy in this thread:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1834217/create-home-wifi-network-wimax-brodband.html

However, my WIMAX box (same French ISP as they're literally the only game in town…or hamlet, in my case) but it's run through a TP-Link WR841BD which I link to via Wi-Fi. What I need, however, is lower latency (probably not possible) or at least a better connection from my Xbox One.

The issue I have is that the WIMAX box has a control panel which states:

Enables Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) Internet Gateway Device (IGD) profile to allow certain Windows applications to setup the port forwarding rules dynamically on this device. Enable a specific LAN client to accept inbound connections which do not match with any forwarding rules. This client sometimes is referred as DMZ (Demilitarized Zone).

Now, I've tried to set the TP-Link up with Port forwarding for my Xbox One, using the Xbox's IP address, but it seemed to make zero difference (if anything, it was worse). So should I add the Xbox to the WIMAX box as a port or the TP-Link? And if neither of those will help, what on earth am I doing wrong? I can't ask the ISP as they are (trust me) utterly woeful.

Any and all help VERY gratefully received.

Regards,
David

Solution
Cable lan-lan,turn off the dhcp on the second router,assign lan ip to not conflict. There are a million posts and video of how do I use my router as a AP. Some router even have a feature.
I would first try to use your tplink as a AP rather than a router. This should make UPnP work on the wimax router. It also would allow you to port forward only on the wimax router directly to your xbox.

I thought everyone in the world gave up on wimax and went LTE. You can do nothing about the latency in the mobile broadband.

DavidRider

Prominent
Feb 21, 2017

That sounds like a plan, now forgive my rank stupidity… how do I do that?!