Win 10 1511 update has hosed 'Sleep', 'Dimming', and keyboard backlighting

drandersoninc

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad X240. Three - four months ago I did a Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro upgrade in place. Once done it functioned without issue. Within the past month I performed the upgrade to v.1511, OS Build.10586.104

I noticed immediately that the resume from 'Sleep' was no longer almost instantaneous, and the amount of time varied substantially. I played with stopping all programs before Sleep (no effect), or testing after a fresh reboot (no effect). I resigned myself to use Hibernate instead and have had no issues with Hibernate mode.

A couple days after I noticed that the screen was at 100% brightness and I could not adjust it with the hot keys as I had done prior. From forums I ensured all Lenovo drivers were up to date, as well as Windows updates (again). I also force updated the drivers for the 'Monitor' and 'Display Adapter' in the Device Manager. When I rebooted, I could adjust the brightness with the hotkeys - until the I put the laptop into Hibernate and once again the brightness was at 100% and non-adjustable. I then downgraded my 'Monitor' in the Device Manager to a 'Generic PNP Monitor' and found the same results as mentioned previously.

Tonight I then noticed that the hotkeys to trigger the keyboard backlighting feature were no longer working as well. I haven't done any further troubleshooting given the aforementioned issues.

I've also run full scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and both are clean.

I'm open to suggestions, this cascading set of issues is getting tiresome.... Thanks!

Hello drandersoninc

I was wondering if you tried removing the Windows Update that is creating that much of trouble? Sometimes some updates remain incompatible with the type of hardware your PC has and therefore they cause trouble.

If removing them makes no difference, you can try Restoring Windows 10 to One Month Before Restore Point and see if that works.

Feel free to report back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

drandersoninc

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I'll take a look into this, thanks. Was hoping for something besides a rollback, that makes me feel like Windows got the best of me... :)

If others have ideas, please pass them on, thanks!

drandersoninc

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Confirmed that it is the 1511 update. I finally got fed up and did a fresh Win 10 install that blew away all my program installations. After rebuilding the PC the brightness and sleep functions were working without issue. Sure enough when I applied the 1511 update the brightness went unresponsive as before. I know I can rollback to my prior backup but that just puts me on an older version of Win10 that at some point I'll have to update anyway. So my question is that is it really worth creating a ticket to Microsoft - are they actually going to do anything about something like this or do I just hope they somehow fix this in a future update and deal until then?