[SOLVED] Win 10 1903 update failed / recovery drive failed

tStori3

Reputable
Aug 28, 2016
I attempted the automatic update for windows on my asus vivobook laptop (X510UAR) today and upon restart my boot order had changed. The boot screen only stated the boot drive was not the correct one and requested me to insert boot media. I verified in bios that my boot drive was the correct one and it failed twice more. The third time it attempted the update and restarted several times giving me error messages along the way. (I don't recall exactly what these errors were). It eventually booted back into windows off my m.2 drive (intended boot drive) and gave me a message stated update failed. I then attempted to create a recovery drive on a flash drive in case this happened again, however an error message pops up stating : " We can't create a recovery drive on this PC - - - - Some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start, use your Windows installation disc or media."

I upgraded this computer a couple months ago. I added a 1tb m.2 drive , and replaced the 2.5 hdd with a sshd. Before I replaced the hdd I used Macrium reflect to clone my 1tb hdd to my 1tb sdd(m.2). The Windows installation was a fresh install on the hdd due to me recently buying it. It has updated with no problems and runs great.

Could someone please help me diagnose what issues I experienced in the update and help me to remedy the situation with my recovery drive.

Also, I'm very limited in tech knowledge especially on software issues.

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB. Make on another PC as it sounds like your install missing a few files?

If you can get into windows, try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

When you installed on hdd, did you make a new installer? Any idea what version you on now?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

it only really...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB. Make on another PC as it sounds like your install missing a few files?

If you can get into windows, try this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

When you installed on hdd, did you make a new installer? Any idea what version you on now?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current version is 1903

it only really matters if the 2nd command above throws an error asking for source

Solution