[SOLVED] Win 10, 4 year old desktop crashes once or twice a day

RealBboy360

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
So this is home build with m2 hard drive z170-ar asus with intel cpu, I got a good corsair power supply.
I don't play games, much or that's not causing the crashes.
I mostly do Visual Studio as my main thing. It did help when deleted multiple year versions of VS and only had 2019 running, but now it seems to be crashing a bit more, twice a day

last message was tried to write to read only memory, but I get some different ones.

Temp is usually 35c-45c, a few times I'll see it go up to 50+

Solution
If it's a glitch/corruption pertaining to your installation or applications, then a reinstall of everything should fix it. Merely deleting partitions from within early in WIndows setup form a bootable WIn10 USB installer is sufficient, WIndows setup will perform a quick format as a part of the install. (Waste of time doing any detailed blanking/overwriting of anything during the format, as anything newly installed will overwrite whatever was there anyway....)

If you want to see if you RAM/mainboard are stable, you might create/boot from USB a Memtest86, and run it overnight...

if no errors in an 8-12 hour run, odds are memory is stable...

RealBboy360

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Hi,
Anything below 85 degrees Celsius is what I would consider safe. What exact power supply, CPU and GPU do you have? Have you overclocked your CPU at all?
Yeah, I reset to defaults and tried to underclocked. I maybe it's my memory

I have a decent graphics card, but don't use it too much, just have dual monitor display, many times the computer is not doing anything when it crashes.
Graphics card ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual-Fan OC Edition Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1060-O3G)

Power supply 2014 Corsair Power Supplies , RM 750W CP-9020055-NA
Memory 2015 : Ballistix Elite 16GB Kit (4GBx4) DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLE4K4G4D26AFEA

Daquirtle

Commendable
Aug 6, 2017
Sorry for not responding sooner.
What might work is backing up your data, then using Microsoft 'diskpart' to entirely reset your drive. You can use a Windows install media to do this, by just accessing command prompt, typing "diskpart", selecting the drive, then typing "clean". It may also be a RAM issue with dual channel, so you could try reseating your RAM or testing with only one stick at a time.

If it's a glitch/corruption pertaining to your installation or applications, then a reinstall of everything should fix it. Merely deleting partitions from within early in WIndows setup form a bootable WIn10 USB installer is sufficient, WIndows setup will perform a quick format as a part of the install. (Waste of time doing any detailed blanking/overwriting of anything during the format, as anything newly installed will overwrite whatever was there anyway....)

If you want to see if you RAM/mainboard are stable, you might create/boot from USB a Memtest86, and run it overnight...

if no errors in an 8-12 hour run, odds are memory is stable...

Solution