Question Win 10 activation error old PC to new PC

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with transferring the digital (retail) license from old PC to a new pc. My old pc (amd x3 8400, gigabyte mobo and 4gb ram) was upgraded from Win7 ultimate to win 10 pro during Microsoft free upgrade offering. Recently, build a new system all new hardware (core i5 9400f, asus mobo, 16gb ram, gpu). On the old PC which I linked to my Microsoft account and was activated, by using the cmd prompt by using this slmgr.vbs -upk , I unregistered it, and pc showing win is not activated now on old pc.
I installed the clean win 10 (latest win 10 build, created two days ago) on to the new PC, logged in with my Microsoft credentials and asked to activate and selected the old PC, but received an error message unable to activate. Error code 0xC004F213. I tried couple of times but no luck.

Is there any thing can be done before I call MS or buy a new key? Also, I have a win7 pro key which I bought as a student can I use to see if that works, in worst case scenario, if above fails again. To be clear, the one was upgraded on amd (old pc)was win7 ultimate edition. Win7 pro student is another key, but did not use in this case.

Thanks for any feedback.

JD007

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Funny, this time I entered old win7 key purchased when I was student and it activated the win 10....but the transfer old/new somehow didn't work. Does it mean in future I may be able to utilize that activation which linked to my Microsoft account but not utilized at this time. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS