Question Win 10/ AMD 6600 System Stutter In Specific Games

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
I'm asking here because I think it's a Win10/GPU drivers issue, but the exact cause I'm not certain of.

I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows 10, and previously replaced my GPU for a brand new AMD 6600. After the clean install, I started to notice a few issues with stutter in specific games; what will happen is that the display will soft lock for a split second, and the sound output will BZZZZ as if it were also about to hang, but then the system carries on as before, until the next stutter.

And it's very, very specific. To the point that it doesn't happen at all in some games, but will in others, and even in particular locations of others: Such that it will happen in the Character Select screen of "Lord of the Rings Online", but not in the main game at all. I first noticed it in War Thunder, where it happens constantly in gameplay; dropping graphics lessened the severity, but it still happened.

Which leads me to suspect that it's a particular rendering problem; drivers? Missing supporting software in Win10? I'm not sure. I can't recall it happening with the new card in the past, but I'm not certain of which games I've played and when to know if it included the ones a deep dive now shows it happens in.

I've updated all my drivers (motherboard with onboard sound, GPU, flashed the BIOS) and it's not that. It's not the storage hardware directly, as the stutter happens to (and doesn't happen too) games both on the SATA and HDD storage locations. It doesn't happen with standard website use, or media playback (Youtube via Firefox, movies via Windows Media Player). It's games only.

Any tips folks as to where to look next?

System is as follows;

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
Raven Ridge 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1197MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. A320M-H-CF (AM4)
Display
VG248 on AMD Radeon RX 6600
Current Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
Work Resolution 1920x1040 pixels
Monitor Width 1920
Monitor Height 1080
Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel
Monitor Frequency 144 Hz

Lutfij

Titan
I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows 10
Where did you source the installer for the OS? As for your platform, BIOS version for said motherboard? Speccy doesn't show the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Please include them.

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Thanks for the response; to answer the questions;

Where did you source the installer for the OS? It was done through Windows itself, via the Media Creation Tool. It generated a Boot USB, and from there a clean reinstall.

BIOS version for said motherboard? Version A320M-H F56a

make and model of your PSU and it's age ? CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550, age is 7 years.

I'm pretty sure it's not something simple like GPU drawing too much load however, or power drops on the PSU as some of the games that stutter hardly tax my system... including Quake 1 on Steam, where as running something like Dark Souls 3 on maximum settings generates no stutter at all. I suspect something else then, or at least, something specific because the triggers are limited to very specific software use.

Titler

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Since making this post, there seems to have been a small Microsoft NET patch, and the AMD drivers have updated to "22.20.26-220823a-383491C-AMD-Software-PRO-Edition"... One of these has almost entirely fixed the issue. I still very, very small hitches in ancient classic Dawn of War 1, but every other game I made a note of now runs smoothly again.

Since making this post, there seems to have been a small Microsoft NET patch, and the AMD drivers have updated to "22.20.26-220823a-383491C-AMD-Software-PRO-Edition"... One of these has almost entirely fixed the issue. I still very, very small hitches in ancient classic Dawn of War 1, but every other game I made a note of now runs smoothly again.
What about drivers from AMD directly ? They are now at 22.10.1 but need to be cleanly installed (after DDU) not as update.

Agreed, go to amd.com and get the drivers directly from them. Use ddu in safe mode to clean the drivers you have on there off, reboot into normal mode and install the drivers from amd.com

Sometimes drivers from Microsoft are a little flaky. Many times they can work fine but sometimes they aren’t up to par especially when it comes to components like graphics.