Win 10 auto update, one drive bandwidth issues

Ugashik Bob

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Greetings:
I live in a very remote area with an internet isp that is very slow, very unreliable and very overpriced. I just ordered a laptp with Win10 Home and while waiting see the auto update issue with no clear resolution and options like one drive and live apps that will be real issues because of my bandwidth constraints. Any tutorials or how to's on these issues?

Solution

1) OneDrive does NOT use bandwidth unless you are logged in and make changes to files in OneDrive. You can simply not use that folder and you'll be fine
2) If you don't want apps to update, simply uninstall them and they will never be updated
3) You can simply set you connection to "metered" mode and most auto-updates will be paused. When using my wifi hotspot I set...

Ugashik Bob

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015
Basroil: Perhaps if you read my post again you would see I was looking for some guidance on how to minimize bandwidth use not eliminate necessary functionality. One drive, cloud etc all assume an internet connection with no constraints and that is simply not the case with everyone. Looking for experiences/suggestions from others who using Win10 on a constrained ISP.

1) OneDrive does NOT use bandwidth unless you are logged in and make changes to files in OneDrive. You can simply not use that folder and you'll be fine
2) If you don't want apps to update, simply uninstall them and they will never be updated
3) You can simply set you connection to "metered" mode and most auto-updates will be paused. When using my wifi hotspot I set it to metered mode, and background updates haven't run once that way.
4) Your computer WILL still install security updates after a grace period

Solution

Ugashik Bob

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

basroil: Thank you for your suggestions. I had an older WIn10 laptop that I could monitor bandwidth consumption by using my modem but was difficult to trace it to a application level. If I run my connection in metered mode can I switch it out of metered mode during our midnight to 4am "free bandwidth window" to download updates ? I have tried for the last three evenings to get the iso update file downloaded with the laptop but it can not complete the 3.2 GB file during the 4 hour window.

You can trace use at an application level if you have the right tools (or modern apps, those automatically record info). As for switching between metered and unmetered, sure, you'll need to do it manually or use a powershell script and task (requires Win 10 Pro)

Latest posts