[SOLVED] Win 10 bootloop making me mad and sad

Apr 2, 2021
Feel like an idiot for buying such an expensive laptop (Surface book 2 15' fully spec'd) and not being able to use it properly.
Situation:
-Tried to factory reset

• now stuck in boot loop;
  • shows windows logo then logo and 'Preparing' with spinning circle
  • 'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed To install Windows, click ok to restart the computer, and then restart installation'

- went to UEFI, reset, nothing changed
- downloaded 'Windows Media Creation Tool' on Usb Stick

• through the UEFI, i could boot the stick
  • when trying to reinstall Windows 10 (i have Win 10 Pro), it goes to the license agreement,
-then i can choose to upgrade which doesnt work.
-or choose to 'only install windows (advanced)'; From there i seem to be able to reinstall drivers (i wouldnt know how) or choose a partition on which i install it.

• It only works on Partition 3, but it says that the previously installed version of windows wouldnt be accessible after the reinstall.
  • going to repair options
  • i get: CONTINUE, USE A DEVICE, USE DIFFERENT OS, TURN OFF & ADVANCED OPTIONS (translated from german)
  • Advanced Options are:
Start Up Repair (doesnt work)
Command Prompt
Uninstall Updates (doesnt work either, tells me that there are other planned updates)
UEFI Firmwareoptions
System Recovery (cant)
systemimagerecovery (cant)
I dont know what to do, im stuck and its hard to find a solution. Please help. I would really appreciate it.

Solution
More information needed.

This:

" not being able to use it properly." What specific problems occurred?

What exactly did you do with regards to "factory reset"?

Will the laptop boot into Safe Mode?

= = = =

You may need a clean install.

Reference (from within this Forum):

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

However, before doing anything else post more information about the original problems and what you did.

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed.

This:

" not being able to use it properly." What specific problems occurred?

What exactly did you do with regards to "factory reset"?

Will the laptop boot into Safe Mode?

= = = =

You may need a clean install.

Reference (from within this Forum):

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

However, before doing anything else post more information about the original problems and what you did.

Solution
Apr 2, 2021
wow such a fast reply, incredible !
Now, with 'not being able to use it properly' i was talking about my current situation with the boot loop.

Unfortunately i cant get into safe mode either, WinRE does not give me that option

The factory reset that (i think) got me into this situation i did just to keep the system fresh. It was months ago and then i just gave up, now im back to it.