Win 10 BSOD after partitioning new SSD

Jacob_28405

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I recently installed a new Patriot Ignite 480gb SSD into my computer. I currently have two 1tb HDDs and 2 256gb SSDs installed. The OS is installed on one of the 256gb SSDs. Installing the new SSD hardware went great, my computer booted fine and I formatted the new partition, I used my computer for a few hours after that and all went well. However, now I am attempting to boot my computer for the first time after the installation and I keep getting a BSOD stating "Critical Process Died."

I disconnected the SATA cord from the new SSD and rebooted, all went well. Reconnect the SSD and reboot, back to BSOD. I can successfully boot into Safe Mode and that is where I am at now.

Win 10 is fully up-to-date and the Patriot SSD drivers are also up-to-date. When I do Error Checking on the disk drive I get the message "Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive." But after closing the dialog box I see no way to repair the drive.

I checked the Event Viewer and every time I run the Error Check on the drive it shows this event: "DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service VSS with arguments "Unavailable" in order to run the server:
{E579AB5F-1CC4-44B4-BED9-DE0991FF0623}"
Not sure if that is of any use.

The only other potential issue I can think of is possibly the specific SATA ports that my drives are plugged into. If that would be of use I can post exactly what port each is installed into here.

Solution
Right after posting this I ended up finding the solution. I will post it here in case anyone else has the same issue.

When I installed the new SSD I didn't have a spare SATA cable to connect it. I never use my CD/DVD drive so I just disconnected that and used that cable AND SATA PORT to connect the SSD. After posting this I was looking at each individual drive's properties and noticed one of them had the issue of "Not Migrating" due to windows detecting a duplicate and/or expecting a different value for the port. So I moved the SSD over to an empty SATA on my Motherboard that had never been used and my next boot was successful.

Jacob_28405

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
Right after posting this I ended up finding the solution. I will post it here in case anyone else has the same issue.

When I installed the new SSD I didn't have a spare SATA cable to connect it. I never use my CD/DVD drive so I just disconnected that and used that cable AND SATA PORT to connect the SSD. After posting this I was looking at each individual drive's properties and noticed one of them had the issue of "Not Migrating" due to windows detecting a duplicate and/or expecting a different value for the port. So I moved the SSD over to an empty SATA on my Motherboard that had never been used and my next boot was successful.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS