Question Win 10 BSoD issues

Aug 15, 2019
Hi,

I've been having some bsod issues for about 3-4 months that I can't solve

All of the bsods have been either system_service_error or critical_process_died with the errors pointing towards ntoskrnl.exe, which doesn't mean anything to my understanding.
They happen seemingly randomly, sometimes while idling on the desktop and other times while gaming. Sometimes I can go for a week without having a single one, other times like in the past 2 days I've been hit 3 times. It might also be worth noting that every time I've had this bsod hit me (while at my pc and not idling on the desktop) I've experienced slowdown and programs being unresponsive for 10-20 seconds before blue screening.

I've tried at least the following over the past month, I might be forgetting something though :

Reseating EVERYTHING
Memtested each ram stick individually
Furmark overnight with different drivers
Prime95 overnight
Removed my overclocks
Underclocked everything
Windows Memory Diagnostic
sfc, chkdsk and dism commands
Tried various versions of motherboard drivers
Tried various versions of my keyboard+mouse drivers, also uninstalling them altogether
Tried only a few msi afterburner versions
Ran driver verifier without crashing for a day, although I've yet to repeat this overnight(s)

My specs are as follows:
Win10 64bit home
rog strix z390-f gaming
rog strix rtx 2080 ti
i9 9900k
32gb kingston hyperx predator

Minidumps of the latest 3 crashes (2 service errors, 1 crit process)

Bluescreenview screenshots of said 3 dumps

Would appreciate any help with this insidious problem

shadi shtaklef

Reputable
BANNED
Jul 26, 2015
if you tried everything then the only option is to format and clean install windows and after that check if you again get lot of bsod. if the same thing happens after a clean install then the reason for the bsod is hardware failure so u should take the pc to a computer shop for a checkup

Colif

Win 11 Master
i will get a friend to look at dumps

ntroskrnl = windows kernel. It is the victim but not the cause, programs like Blue screen viewer or Whocrashed often point at it, as yes, it is what crashed but its not the cause of problem.

So you are correct that it doesn't mean anything in relation to the error, but it is wrong to think ntoskrnl means nothing to windows. Windows cannot run without it. It is the brains of windows, it sits between programs and hardware

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/yAaL.html
File information:081619-11156-01.dmp (Aug 15 2019 - 19:09:37)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Registry)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:081319-12765-01.dmp (Aug 12 2019 - 20:35:32)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Registry)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:081319-10093-01.dmp (Aug 12 2019 - 21:24:19)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "RTCore64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Aug 15, 2019
I see, so afterburner might indeed be a possible cause? I'll have to try uninstalling and making do without then for a while.

Good idea with the BIOS update, it was really out of date and I've now updated to the latest version. Yes I have also ran the chkdsk /r command.

Given how random these blue screens have been I've thought about leaving my pc on overnight with driver verifier running to try and force one to happen. Although I'm nearing the point now where it might just be easier to do a fresh clean install.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If driver verifer finds nothing all night, it makes it less likely problem is software. Sure, its not perfect, it might still be a driver. Can try clean install if you like.

curious, what peripherals are attached? Apart from mouse & keyboard, I only ask as all your tests are pretty thorough so might be something you haven't looked at yet.

I don't see it in your list, try running this on CPU - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool - just as a 2nd opinion on Prime95

what drives do you have? Try running HD Sentinel on them and under the disk tab, run any tests you can. they could be reason for the slowdown you been having.

Aug 15, 2019
Fresh minidump from today, I was just browsing when explorer and chrome stopped responding followed by this bsod. I guess it wasn't afterburner after all

Nothing special really, just a usb DAC and a mic is all I run on the side

I wasn't too sure how many times I was meant to run the intel program so I just went for a quick 5 passes

The sentinel came through clean with the tests I could run under the disk tab too

I did initially think it might've been a faulty gpu because I mostly experienced these crashes under load, but when I didn't encounter a crash while running furmark overnight on both this pc and my old one just to test for sure I started having doubts. At this point hardware should almost surely be ruled out I'd believe? I think I'll start backing up things now just in case though since it's looking like a clean install is looming

gardenman

Splendid
I don't see any specific driver being pointed out in the latest dump file. Here are the results: https://pste.eu/p/ePDn.html

File information:081719-10359-01.dmp (Aug 17 2019 - 05:26:43)
Bugcheck:CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (EF)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.