[SOLVED] Win 10 Clean Install: Cannot run Media Creation tool

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Miserable day it's been. I'd been hoping to do a clean in stall of Windows 10 today, but no such luck. I'm using the Tom's HW Clean install guide, but cannot get the media creation tool to work.

I'm repeatedly getting this error:

There was a problem running this tool
We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems,
reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code: 0x80070424 - 0x90018

I spent hours Googling this and trying all sorts of fixes, mostly involving ensuring that several specific services were set to automatic (they were).
I tried two different blank 30 GB FAT-formatted thumb drives that I know work, tried several different onboard USB ports, but no luck.

I looked at other options to create a bootable USB from an ISO file, but all roads seem to lead to the same process: going through the media creation tool (MediaCreationTool1909). Is there a way to directly download an ISO, save to USB and install from there?

I'm so disgusted that I'm thisclose to paying $150 and just getting the DVD.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
As a workaround, if you have a valid retail installation DVD, is that tied to the serial number that comes with it?

I plan to upgrade my wife's desktop from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Pro next month, and planned on paying for it.

Can I use a retail DVD and enter my current Win 7 Pro license key instead of the one on the package?
There is no relationship between the retail DVD and the product key (other than the types should match, of course).

Just yesterday, I used the last of my Win 7 Pro keys (OEM version purchased several years ago) on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. Worked like a charm and fully activated.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
As a workaround, if you have a valid retail installation DVD, is that tied to the serial number that comes with it?

I plan to upgrade my wife's desktop from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Pro next month, and planned on paying for it.

Can I use a retail DVD and enter my current Win 7 Pro license key instead of the one on the package?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

There is no relationship between the retail DVD and the product key (other than the types should match, of course).

Just yesterday, I used the last of my Win 7 Pro keys (OEM version purchased several years ago) on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. Worked like a charm and fully activated.

Reactions: dg27
Solution

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

It looks like this works (from Lifewire):

Can I use someone else's Windows CD/DVD to install Windows on my PC as long as I use my original product key?

Windows product keys are not tied to specific discs or images, only to specific versions of Windows. Use a friend's retail copy of Windows to reinstall Windows on your computer as long as you use your unique product key, without fear that you're violating the license agreement or the Terms of Service.

product key

This may save me a lot of headaches.

USAFRet

Titan

Just yesterday, I used the last of my Win 7 Pro (OEM version purchased several years ago) on a clean install of Win 10 Pro. Worked like a charm and fully activated.
Even then, the product level does not necessarily need to match.
A few months ago, I had a Win 10 Home install, unactivated.
Applied an old Win 8.1 Pro license, previously unused.
Result? Activated Win 10 Pro.

Reactions: dg27

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

That's a huge relief. I have to upgrade five machines, so it sounds like I can use one DVD for all five and just use the unique keys for all of them.

A trip to B&H (my favorite NYC retailer) is in order.

Even then, the product level does not necessarily need to match.

That's good to know since one of the five machines is Window 7 Home (and will stay "Home").

Thanks for your help, COLGeek and USAFRet.

dg27

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
Is burning an ISO to a DVD and option for you?

What are the specs for the computer you are using to run the Media Creation Tool on?

Yes, it would be, but I haven't found a way to be able to download the ISO without the MCT. Since I do have to buy one retail Pro version, I think that's the simplest solution.

Dell Studio XPS 9100, i7 960@3.2GHz, 24 GB RAM
Win 7 Pro 64X
Samsung 840 Pro 512 GB SSD boot

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, it would be, but I haven't found a way to be able to download the ISO without the MCT.
Read through here:

You have to sort of trick the site into giving it up.